• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E When Can Hero Points be Used?

koesherbacon

First Post
This disagreement came up in our last session so I want to clarify when Hero Points can be used.

Let me share the disagreement with you all and then you can tell me if my interpretation was correct or not.

Me (as the DM): The Druid begins her turn and moves from this square to that square. After she moves she begins casting a spell.

Rogue: WAIT! I USE A HERO POINT TO TAKE AN EXTRA TURN!

Me: No, you can't do that yet.

Rogue: No, it says right here!
She points to the print out I printed from d20pfsrd.com about Hero Points:
"Act Out of Turn: You can spend a hero point to take your turn immediately. Treat this as a readied action, moving your initiative to just before the currently acting creature. You may only take a move or a standard action on this turn."

Me: Okay, I know it says you take an action immediately, but I believe that you can only do that in between turns not in the middle of another character's turn.

Rogue: But it says immediately.

Paladin: He's the DM, he decides.

Me: Let's do it that way now, you can use your Hero Point after her spell. I'll check on the forums if i'm interpreting the rule correctly this way or you're interpreting it right. Fair enough?

Rogue: Fair enough.

So that's what happened.

Can you use a Hero Point to take an extra action any time the way the rogue wanted to or can you only do it in between turns the way I thought they worked?

Thanks very much! :)

Super Pony

Studded Muffin
The way I read it (which is by no means official), I'd probably let your scenario happen the way you thought it should happen, since it is supposed to be handled like a Readied Action. They just pop a hero point, take their standard, or move action and then the the interrupted acting participant continues on with beginning their turn. Then on the next round, the Hero Point popper goes at the modified initiative point. They don't get to go in the middle of another participant's turn. You gotta call it out before the current initiative point gets under way...at least per my reading of Readied Actions.

Last edited:

From the referenced like provided above:
The action occurs just before the action that triggers it. If the triggered action is part of another character's activities, you interrupt the other character. Assuming he is still capable of doing so, he continues his actions once you complete your readied action.

Think of it as if the rogue had said " I ready an action to attack if the druid casts a spell". Now, the movement did not trigger the readied action, but casting the spell would.
In this case, the rogue takes an action and their initiative moves to just before the druid. The druid finishes their turn, likely making a Concentration check for taking damage while casting a spell.

koesherbacon

First Post
Okay, so I guess it's the way the Rogue wanted to play it not the way I felt it should have been played, huh? Alright, thanks for clarifying.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads