D&D 5E When did you last buy a WotC D&D5e product? (not a third party or DM Guild)

When did you last buy a WotC D&D5e product? (not a third party or DM Guild)

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
During the pandemic i listened to Critical Role and as a result of that I picked up the 5e Core Books cheap from Amazon. Then I picked up the book that had 5e conversions of older modules. That was the last time I purchased anything from WOTC. I remain a PF Classic/2e GM/player for my FRPG needs.

I bought Planescape. Dragonlance was the most recent before that. Seriously though, I’m a whale. I’ve probably bought (or backed) a hardcover a month since I got back into d&d in a big way during covid lockdowns, and that’s not counting the pdfs. If you’re the biggest name in the industry, the owner of the ip, with the biggest budgets, and you’re struggling to sell stuff to me - what the hell?

I have bought a bunch of 3pp materials though, and some of them have been on DMsGuild so WotC is still getting some of my money.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I haven't bought a 5E book in years. but I did finally break and pick up Planescape. I would have picked up Dragonlance but all the preview stuff turned me off of it.

TwiceBorn2

Adventurer
Last one I bought was Tales From the Yawning Portal in January 2022. Received Shadow of the Dragon Queen w/Alt Cover for Xmas in 2022.

Might get Bigby's and/or Planescape this Xmas, we'll find out soon enough.

These days, I tend to buy more Free League and Chaosium than WotC books with my own money. Better value, IMO.

Retros_x

Explorer
The last two books I bought were Bigbys and Phandelver and Below. Bigbys I really liked although much of the content I only skimmed. But I will definitely use it next time I use giants + I really like the format of the adventure sites. Definitely wish more of that for future books.

Phandelver and below was a big disappointment. The old adventure was touched only lightly, all my negative points remain. The second half is just... bad. It has some inspiring tidbits I might just grab and use in different context, but as a coherent module it fails in a big way IMO. My lesson is to only buy 5e modules after thorough reading of reviews and community reception. Only adventures I did not regret buying in recent years were the adventure anthologies (Candlekeep Mysteries, Golden Vault etc.).

I am really looking forward the new core books though.

Remove ads