When do you boot a player

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
I've booted many, many, many players over the years. To be completely fair to the discussion, I'm an intolerant person, very picky about who I choose to spend time with and always looking to meet new people to improve my gamer pool.

Those caveats stated I find that what's tolerable to one group is entirely different from the next. Generally speaking, it's time to boot someone when the group's general level of good humor and "fun" is impacted or when the current composition of the group gets to the point where it's obvious that people aren't as jovial as they "used to be".

Careful observation and in some cases wholesale manipulation of the composition of one-off games will let you know what combinations of players work and what doesn't.. then boot the problem player.

Of course my approach assumes that the DM has a reputation for running excellent games and has been playing with a core group of people for a while such that the core, (at least) knows the DM well enough to trust and tolerate such things. In a group where history isn't there the tactics suggested indicate the DM is the problem.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Careful observation and in some cases wholesale manipulation of the composition of one-off games will let you know what combinations of players work and what doesn't.. then boot the problem player.

Now that I read this, I realize that is what I have unconsciously been doing all along. It is also how we ended up with so many games/groups.

I'm very tolerant, usually (unless someone is mean to the cats) but I think with only one group I might have had to boot a few more players.

Remove ads