• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When does an NPC pay full price?

Krafen

First Post
Moonstone Spider said:
I'd like to see some sort of haggling skill mechanic replace the current half rule. Naturally with a merchant class who has a huge class bonus to haggling, and a class ability to find things cheaply as long as the Merchant's been in the same place X months.

I believe a haggling application of the Diplomacy skill is described in Complete Adventurer.

pawsplay

Hero
It's the same reason I sell a mini on ebay for half of what gamerocket sells it for retail. If the PCs are willing to hold onto their inventory, wait for the right buyer, and so forth, then sure, they can get full price, just like any other retailer.

Selling to adventurers is a good scenario for getting full price, IF the adventurers have cash on hand, desire the item badly enough, and aren't unscrupulous enough to mug the PCs.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
The stuff Bob the NPC wizard is selling for full price is presumed to be new or very close to it. The stuff you're selling as a PC adventurer is clearly used goods. Why would any NPC pay full price for used goods?

Oh good grief. The "half value" rule should obviously apply to selling things to merchants who intend to resell. I thought that was spelled out in the 3.0DMG. IRL, a manufacturer is paid far below the retail price for something. Where do you think the reseller makes their money? Volume?

If they are doing a quick sale to a reseller, the baseline is 50%. If they hold onto the item until they find an end buyer they are working at full price but they should have to pay taxes & fees on the sale to the local nobility & guilds, which I set around 10%.

My group often waits for the annual fairs so they can buy a booth, pay the guild fees, and set up a shop. Some of the fairs have an auction for the really expensive stuff, which eliminates the haggling. The party sets a minimum bid and I roll some dice based on the utility of the item, local casters, what I had for lunch, etc to see how high it goes.

I've actually eliminated some of the guild fees and taxes by "rewarding" the party with tax exemptions.

shilsen

Adventurer
billd91 said:
The stuff Bob the NPC wizard is selling for full price is presumed to be new or very close to it. The stuff you're selling as a PC adventurer is clearly used goods. Why would any NPC pay full price for used goods?
Permanent magic items are unaffected by degree of usage.

Bad Paper

First Post
death and taxes

I explain away the half-price thing to my players under the umbrella of heavy taxation, intense guild protectionism, investment risk, etc. Then I don't bother charging (much) for their PCs' upkeep (like that month in the inn or whatever).

I generally fudge just about everything in favor of the PCs (time it takes to skin that dragon, carrying limits, all that happy crap), but then I charge them half their loot for it.

werk

First Post
shilsen said:
Permanent magic items are unaffected by degree of usage.

Unaffected as far as effective use goes, but I would definitely expect wear.

Compare new to 'certified pre-owned'.

I use diplomacy or bluff/sense motive when PCs want to try for better than 50%. 50% is effectively 'taking 10' in haggle IMC. I've had one player take advantage of this, ruining a local retailer and gaining multiple enemies in the process :]

Wish

First Post
I've tended to put in specific encounters and relationships in which PCs can buy or sell things at other than standard prices.

For example, in the last campaign I ran, I had an acquaintance of the PCs introduce them to a friend of his, an arcane archer who'd lost his magic bow. To raise funds for a new bow, he was selling off a lot of other magical items. They got some magic arrows, a quiver, and I think a ring of protection at half price. In another example, the PCs had a long term working relationship with the church of Rao, which made them a standing offer to buy certain low-level items for more than they could get selling to merchants (I think I gave them 65%). The church would buy standard, useful +1 armor, weapons, rings of protection, and cloaks of resistance for their elite soldiers. (By useful I mean they'd buy things like longswords or chain shirts, but would skip on things like dwarven urgroshes and padded armor.)

Jhulae

First Post
werk said:
Unaffected as far as effective use goes, but I would definitely expect wear.

Compare new to 'certified pre-owned'.

But, in all honesty, except for wands and other 'expendables', there is no normal 'wear and tear'. That +1 greatsword is as good now as it was 1000 years ago when it was buried in the crypt, and just as good as it'll be 1000 years from when the PCs sell it.

The only real wear and tear *any* armor/weapons/non-charge items (magical and non) get is via a sunder attempt or damage from a failed saving throw or similar. Otherwise, that goes way beyond the rules.

DM_Matt

First Post
When I Dm...

Depends on if they are selling it retail or wholseale. The PCs can always sell items wholesale in a major city, without even needing to RP it. If they want to sell it direct, they will need to make their own arrangements.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads