• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When Holding A Two-handed Weapon

Can one hold onto a two-handed weapon and plant a battle standard? What about draw something, say a potion (or what have you). I'm thinking, no.

Last edited:

Dice4Hire

First Post
I would make the character take one hand off the weapon in their turn and not be able to rewield it again until their turn came again, so no OAs for the whole turn.

Otherwise they would get both, the OA and the free hand.

Tony Vargas

Legend
You can hold onto a two-handed weapon in one hand while using the other hand for some other purpose - retrieving and drinking a potion, climbing, drawing and throwing a javeline, whatever - you can't attack with the two handed weapon until that hand is free to use with it, again, though. So, you could climb a rope without putting away your greatsword, but you won't be making any OAs while you do it.

the-golem

Explorer
IMO, this is being too finicky with the rules.

A two-handed weapon needs two hands to wield in properly in combat, but there's no logical reason why the character couldn't balance it on his shoulder, for instance, and pull the standard out and plunk it down with his other hand.

He could just as easily "drop it" by sticking it into the ground (or leaning it up against his body), and to the requisite action, and then pick up the weapon again at the end.

Granted, I'd probably only allow this if that was all he was doing for that turn.

You can hold onto a two-handed weapon in one hand while using the other hand for some other purpose - retrieving and drinking a potion, climbing, drawing and throwing a javeline, whatever - you can't attack with the two handed weapon until that hand is free to use with it, again, though. So, you could climb a rope without putting away your greatsword, but you won't be making any OAs while you do it.
Just curious, but how does one climb a rope with one hand?

the-golem

Explorer
golem: Actually, that -is- the rules. Carying an object takes one hand, wielding a two handed weapon takes 2.

Well, yeaj, but I "meant what you do while holding it" as being finicky. Heck, if we were in open space, and my PC wanted to be all cool and toss his weapon high into the air, quaffing a potion, I'd allow it with a few skill checks.

For all I care, teh PC could bit it with his teeth ... okay that wouldnt work well with a great sword.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads