D&D 5E When lore and PC options collide…

Which is more important?

• Lore

• PC options

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually people are pretty willing to go along with the GM's pitch, or if for some reason they don't find it appealing, then they don't participate in that game.
this is the weird part... no one is 'not going with the GMs pitch'
we said sometimes we would ask 'why' and if the answer wasn't something we and the rest of the table could agree to THEN it MIGHT be an issue... and have been jammed full of 'my way or the highway'

TBH it didn't even start out about a table (although the arugment turned into one quickly) it started with if it mattered if WotC took a stand one way or the other...

Oofta

Legend
Hey Scribe. I didn't know that was option. What mustache product do you get to get your mustache long enough to twirl? Or are you buying glue on stache? If so provide a link. Thanks.
Yes. Shirt, death dice, skully, and now a wicked mustache. I HAVE THE POWER!

Not sure about the proper wax, but there are a whole slew of options for mustaches available at Walmart
ee5336f3-3f6e-4424-b379-73a5d22bd98b_1.b826f1ffe37f2316cdf7e9daa0b32b39.jpg

Seriously, do people do this in other games? Demand to play Sidereal Exalted in Vampire the Masquerade, to play GURPS Supers character in GURPS Napoleonics game? This is so bizarre.

When I play chess, I always insist on being Colonel Mustard.
If in order to make your point, you have to assume one of your players is trying to destroy your game, then maybe your point isn’t strong enough to stand on its own.

back 2 closed threads ago we were told that if someone said they would DM (in the example they didn't even have a session 0) and you showed up with a half orc for a DL game you were the problem...
There's obviously some context missing with what you summarized, but taking what you said completely at face value, yes a player just showing up without asking anything prior is the start of a problem. From the PHB:
Your DM might set the campaign on one of these worlds or on one that he or she created. Because there is so much diversity among the worlds of D&D, you should check with your DM about any house rules that will affect your play of the game. Ultimately, the Dungeon Master is the authority on the campaign and its setting, even if the setting is a published world.

That's before it gets to how to make a character, so it's right in the front of the book. Maybe your table has a different way of handling it, which is great for your table. With the group I play with, when a new campaign is pitched the DM explains the theme or setting and usually if they forget to say it, one of the players will ask "what books can we use? is anything off-limits?".

Calling out someone that joins a game with the purposeful intent of causing disruption a "douche" [1] is not the same as what has been said about people who restrict options when they DM.
nobody is trying to be disruptive... that is HIM putting a bad spin on what we said then lableing us as Douche
On the one hand we have people who state a preference that the DM make a world they enjoy and make sense to them.
nope we have no other hand, no one has argued against this one...

but you did try to one sided argue that the people (mostly DMs I might add) that say 'hey we should work with the table' are the only ones insulting well ignoreing the people on the 'DM has final say' argument being JUST as rude.
The fact that you're pointing to one post out of hundreds as being just as bad when all Maxperson did was call out people who are deliberately disruptive is false equivalency.
no it isn't, and he isn't the only one it is just the eaisiest cause it was in responce to me and then I called him out on it like 3 times
P.S. Again, I would have not used "douche". Nerf herder, a-hole, ignoramous, jerk, no-goodnick, party pooper, schmuck, dork, addle-pated, dickwad, miscreant maybe. Douche? Nah.
I notice you ALSO just tried to work around the language filter by useing a - in place of letters... cause you KNOW that type of language isn't supposed to be used but you want to anyway to be insulting to people who pretend to be elves in a way you disagree with... but then call the 'other side' rude.

neither side has been grandma friendly for days

For real. At the start of our last campaign, one of the guys at my table asked if his 2 friends could join but our current DM doesn't like running more than 6 players since it gets harder for each person to be involved. When I pitched the idea for our next campaign that I want to DM, people again asked if more people could join and I declined. Unless you live somewhere with a small population or are incredibly toxic or bad as a DM there's usually more people looking to find a table taking on more players from my experience.
this is why pre covid I ran store games and helped people learn to DM... so there would ALWAYS be more DMs

this is why pre covid I ran store games and helped people learn to DM... so there would ALWAYS be more DMs
It can be intimidating at first, but I think most people feel like in order to DM you have to know the entire rule book. I always tell people new to DMing you don't have to know all the rules, you just have to improv consistently. lol

Basically, instead of just removing a bad player, they removed the class the bad player chose. (And then the bad player, but kept the class out.)
many years ago we had a group that we kind of joined for a bit that had 'ask art rules' things like no you can't ask for a half elf you have to explain your entire genology, and no you can't write languages down on your sheet... (this was 2e if it matters) by the way art was still playing.
I never want to go back to 'we just made it harder for someone to make characters so this guy will be LESS of a problem
This analogy annoys me because adding Wookies to Star Trek is trivially easy, unless the ruleset is really hard on homebrew races. The lore side of it is just ten words: "Kysshk is also a planet in the Milky Way somewhere."
I mean yeah, on a theme level I see no reason that you couldn't homebrew wookie into ST or Klingon into SW it is just people wont show up expecting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads