When to be a GM?

S'mon

Legend
Now I tend to give them more options but have a variety of encounters to slot in to make a fun night.
There's definitely a legitimate place for quantum ogres in a DM's toolkit! :LOL:
There are some GMing tools such as a local area map, some NPCs, a wandering monster table, and a couple prepped drop-in encounters, that are worth their weight in gold.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Do it NOW!
do it jewish GIF

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
There's definitely a legitimate place for quantum ogres in a DM's toolkit! :LOL:
More accurately, there's a legitimate place for them in the DM's toolkit, as well as outside the toolkit and down every possible path in the forest and possibly in the tavern back in town, if the players are really obstinate.

Emirikol

Adventurer
I am still new to the world of role-play, and just applied for my solo game.
But I hope to be a GM one day.
The question is, how do I know when I am ready?
Roughly, what is the your recommended minimum amount of games I participated as players before you recommend I take on the role as a GM?

You wont know until after youve gmed about 6 sessions.

I am still new to the world of role-play, and just applied for my solo game.
But I hope to be a GM one day.
The question is, how do I know when I am ready?
Roughly, what is the your recommended minimum amount of games I participated as players before you recommend I take on the role as a GM?

I don't think there is a magic number. I know people who GM'd their first day, and people who waited years. Sometimes jumping into the fire and trying it is the best way to test things out (even if you go back to being a player after, running a game here or there will give you a better idea of what it entails). Also I would say don't turn it into a big thing. It is just a game, it is just GMing. This isn't a job. The universe isn't going to collapse if the game crashes. Sometimes what can be helpful is to try to get everyone in the group to run a campaign once in a while. That is a more low pressure way to gain exposure to GMing, it also exposes you to multiple GMing styles.

Remove ads