D&D 5E When will WotC support unlinking abilities and skills?

5ekyu

Hero
Ok then that's great. But when you start a thread asking when will WotC support a thing and it's already in print etc... one I would think has to expect that yo be brought up.

When you claim a different approach would be better, one ought to expect different points of view to be presented.

You are correct, what you put forth after the question was just a statement of preference. But there is a difference in saying "I would have liked it more... " and "it simply would have been better", right?

To those who mention published WotC works, not everyone owns it all so IME (since I don't own a copy of Saltmarsh or follw AL adventures) I haven't seen it. You say they do support it, I believe you in that to a point maybe they do, but as I expressed in the OP it simply would have been better to use the variant from the get-go. You don't agree, great, totally your choice, but I am done debating what is completely a matter of preference and opinion.

5ekyu

Hero
I agree. As others have said, the married to ability scores (I personally dislike btw) is thexeady straight-forward to use outof-the-box for brand new GMs and players. Everyone without pause can find the columns fill things in etc.

Then for those that want more, like me, there is the variant.

That to me is a better design choice for how to present it than the reverse - even tho I prefer to use the variant.
Not really. No. The variant should remain a variant. It is up to the DM and players to make a case for using other ability scores for skills. Wizards should continue to design for the great majority.

What might sense to you might not make sense to everyone else. Hence why the use of the most common applicable ability score for the most applicable skill.
For example I see sprinting as also Strength or Constitution based. If Wizards proceeds to have something like that in the books someone is going to be unhappy. Better to have general applicable skills in the main and use the variants off the cuff.

Remove ads