• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When you get a Twice-per-Encounter Power once per day...

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
To me, it's clear that once per day means once.

You get to use 1 inspiring/healing word per day. As has been said, specific wins over general. It's also more in line with the other MC powers (though it's still more powerful, IMO)

Ander00

First Post
I'd say it's most likely meant to be used just that once. However, in our small group I'd probably allow my players to follow the other interpretation to make leader-less groups more of a real possibility.

cheers

Stogoe

First Post
Venator said:
Healing Word
Daily (Special) * Divine, Healing
Special: You can use this power twice per encounter, but only once per round. At 16th level, you can use this power three times per encounter.
That's extremely silly. You cut out the entirety of the Special when you take Initiate of the Faith. Once per Day means Once per Day. So:

Healing Word
Daily (Special) * Divine, Healing
Special: You can use this power once per day, but only once per day. At 16th level, you can use this power once per day.

RigaMortus2

First Post
I'd go with the specific over general ruling. The general ruling for that power is, even though it is an encounter power, you can use it more than once in that particular encounter. The specific rule of the feat now makes it a daily power, with no other special instructions.

Kordeth

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
I'd go with the specific over general ruling. The general ruling for that power is, even though it is an encounter power, you can use it more than once in that particular encounter. The specific rule of the feat now makes it a daily power, with no other special instructions.

No, the specific rule is "once per day, you can use the cleric's Healing Word power." Not "you gain Healing Word as a daily power." The 'Special' line isn't part of using the power.

Surgoshan

First Post
I don't see where the difficulty is. It doesn't say you gain the Inspiring Word power, it just says that once per day, you can use the Inspiring Word power.

Zurai

First Post
Surgoshan said:
I don't see where the difficulty is. It doesn't say you gain the Inspiring Word power, it just says that once per day, you can use the Inspiring Word power.
Exactly. Pretty cut and dry, IMO.

Destil

Explorer
Surgoshan said:
I like this reading best.

From a power perspective it leaves something to be desired (I'd prefer twice / three times per day but only once per encounter), but it's clear at least.

Remove ads