Where are the forum rules please?

Necrofumbler

Sorry if I necro some posts by mistake.
Thanks a lot!

However, I see no guideline there about the thread necroing protocol.

i.e. How long before posting to an old thread is considered "bad"? Weeks?Months? Years? Forever?

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Thanks a lot!

i.e. How long before posting to an old thread is considered "bad"? Weeks?Months? Years? Forever?

Thanks again.
There are no rules about necroing. Occasionally we see threads from over 10 years ago pop to top. Some people find it annoying, others humorous, others are indifferent.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Thanks a lot!

However, I see no guideline there about the thread necroing protocol.c,

Thanks again.

if you think its relevant and on topic, then go for it, I’ve been amused when I reply to a thread and then read back and discover I replied to the same thread 10 years before.
i have learnt to check dates now

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Thanks a lot!

Thanks again.
It is preferred that you don't, but AIUI it isn't strictly against the rules, so long as you actually contribute something to the conversation.

As a general rule of thumb, at least for my own posting, I assume that if nothing new has been said in the past 6 months, it's probably a dead thread and it would be better to start a new one. Doesn't mean I always follow it, I've been caught by surprise in the past, but when I'm cognizant, that's roughly what I adhere to.

Necrofumbler

Sorry if I necro some posts by mistake.
Yeah necroing posts is kinda a bad habit of mine, somewhat a lot more in control nowadays than say 10 years ago, but I'm still trying to reduce it even more. Gimme another 10 years?

Maybe my new 'Necrofumbler' username (awaiting moderator approval) will help me keep that bad habit more in mind. I hope.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There is no rule, per se. However, a couple of things to note:

1) A lot of spammers necro threads, because the are picking threads mostly at random. Don't make yourself look like a spammer.

2) Don't expect, or act like you are owed, replies from old posts.

3) The "forum list" view in the Community menu is chronological. If you start there, you are unlikely to necro a thread.

4) If you find a thread from a search on a topic, just get in the habit of checking the date of the thing. Some folks respond poorly to necros simply because it is an indication that you aren't paying attention - and they find the combination of you can't be bothered to check a date, but figure folks want to hear what you have to say, to be kinda rude.

Generally I would recommend acknowledging your own necromancy when you knowingly do it, to preempt the snarky comments of people like me (often a good opportunity to explain why you thought the thread deserves revival as well). I'm mostly pro-necromancy, I just find it funny when someone interlopes into a long dead conversation and doesn't realize it, particularly if they come in hot arguing with someone who hasn't been seen in years.

The "Similar Threads" list below whatever thread you're looking at sometimes recommends long dead threads, and I think most acts of accidental necromancy by regular visitors stem from this (most of the rest presumably have to do with someone following a google search).

You joined in 2017, and your post history is from today, it looks like you necro'ed yourself, lol.
We have a Lich in our midst!

Remove ads