where can I get the statistics on firearms?

loki8481

First Post
so, I've *finally* decided on what to play in my friend's upcoming 3E campaign -- gnome wizard/techsmith. giving up a couple metamagic feats for a pet golem seems like an awesome deal with cool RP potential; I've always found the metamagic feats to be a bit lackluster anyways.

under the class skills for the prestige class, it mentioned Exotic Weapon (Firearms) as a free feat for going techsmith, but I'll be damned if I can actually find firearms in any source book... anyone know where I should be looking so I can refer it to my DM?

Mistah J

First Post
There's a brief primer (pun intended!) on them in the 3.5 DMG.

If you want a little more depth, there is a very good article all about firearms in Dragon Magazine #321.

Arkhandus

First Post
Yes, the DMG (both 3.0 and 3.5 versions AFAIK) have some basic, simple rules for a few Renaissance-era weapons, modern weapons, and futuristic weapons. Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Firearms) is needed for proficient use of any of those guns. Because it's optional material and not important to the core game, it was never released into the System Reference Document, just as most (all?) of the optional/variant material and all of the advice in the DMG remains closed content.

I don't even know where this "techsmith" prestige class you speak of comes from.......but I imagine that whatever book it's from, or whatever product line it belongs to, must contain some firearms rules. Then again, I haven't gotten around yet to reading my copies of Mechamancy and The Fantastic Science from EN Publishing, so for all I know it could be in one of those.....

Theroc

First Post
Monte Cook released a PDF somewhere. I don't recall exactly where the actual PDF is, though I can find it sometime soon, if you want.

loki8481

First Post
I don't even know where this "techsmith" prestige class you speak of comes from.......but I imagine that whatever book it's from, or whatever product line it belongs to, must contain some firearms rules. Then again, I haven't gotten around yet to reading my copies of Mechamancy and The Fantastic Science from EN Publishing, so for all I know it could be in one of those.....

it's in Faith and Pantheons, a FR 3E book... I've been all over the FR books that I have, and I'll be damned if I can find any type of equipment list or reference to firearms.

anyone have any clue where they might be in the DMG? I have the 3E (but not 3.5E) guide and haven't seen anything about it.

zendruid

First Post
I highly recommend the firearms article in Dragon 321. it really expands on the renaissance era weapons and gives crafters some unique choices when making firearms. Also included is a misfire chart and several other firearms goodies.

The techsmith is a worshiper of Gond in Faerun that creates a mechanical henchman. Since he has to be cleric, zen archery is a must have feat (wis to attack rolls) if he's going to use firearms.

I am currently playing a gun wielding dwarven cleric of dugmaren brightmantle (dwarven god of invention). I have been working closely with my DM on creating a firearms prestige class for FR. Just look at my avatar! those are pistol axes not just axes (TWF works with ranged weapons according to rules compendium).

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There are also a few 3PP FRPGs that have firearms rules in them, like Swashbuckling Adventures and Iron Kingdoms.

Awakened

First Post
Freeport has some awesome guns that backfire on a role of 1. They include a medieval version of a grenade launcher. Highly recommended :)

coyote6

Adventurer
anyone have any clue where they might be in the DMG? I have the 3E (but not 3.5E) guide and haven't seen anything about it.

Nowhere near my 3e DMG, but I want to say it's in the Campaigns chapter (whichever chapter that is). They list firearms, Asian weapons (katana, wakizashi, kusari-gama, etc.), and I think even some futuristic weapons, all in the context of building your campaign.

Remove ads