• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where did my options go? - The New Paradigm

WalterKovacs

First Post
Marshall said:
Heres the thing, from my quick read thru of the classes almost all of those come down to one choice. Sub-class

Want to be an Archer?
You're a Ranger.
You need a +DEX race.
Your At-wills are pre-selected.

Actually 1 of your 3 at-wills is eliminated. Ranger has 1 ranged only, 1 melee only and 2 either/or powers. Certain classes have preselected powers [Warlock is explicit unless human, cleric cuts down the middle of wisdom or strength to attack]. Most classes follow a "1 at-will for each build, and 2 that can work either way]. Fighter, for example, has reaping strike which prefers 2 handed weapons, and another that requires a shield. The other two can go either way. This means that, outside Cleric, humans should have a good 'third choice' for their at-will.

Encounter/Dailys might have a "choose between two" but probably not

For the Ranger [who, like the cleric, has the most 'extreme' difference between builds] has 3 options that work with either build, and a single "melee only" power for encounters. Of the 4 dailies, 3 use melee, 2 use ranged.

Your skills come from the Ranger list.

Which is different than 3e where you have the option of spending double to get your cross class skills ... which over time will be capped so that they are still bad [unless you get a way to make it a class skill through multiclassing or a paragon path ... or you are only taking 5 ranks for the skill synergy].

You are limited to a tiny list of feats available to your Race/Class.

And the ones that are open to anyone. Depending on the class, the feats aren't that limited ... And the feats go larger as you go on.

Weapon? pre-set.

Archer uses a bow ... shocking. How many options for archers in 3e? Composite added a bit extra, but ultimately "best composite based on characters strength and available money" wasn't exactly an option. And there is still the option of going with a 'mixed' ranger that can use a thrown weapon off handed to be able to dual wield in melee and make ranged attacks with the same weapon selection.

And of course, this is an example for a single class that you are using to represent everything. Other classes have a bit more options. Rogue chooses between dagger [effective +4 prof], short sword, rapier [feat requirement for higher damage die]. Fighters, paladins, clerics and warlords have to choose between extra damage and certain tricks involving hammers and axes, or the higher proficiency bonus for blades.

Armor? Best available. No reason not to.

For certain classes, you will have an option of whether to wear chainmail or hide. Part of that has to do with determining ability scores and feats. Hide or leather is a choice for some ... take the skill check penalty for the AC bonus? The option of taking a feat to gain higher armor proficiencies is also part of these options. The heavier armor has penalties for speed as well. For some characters, your ability to make athletic checks, stealth checks, etc may be more important than +1 to AC.

Almost all of the classes follow the same pattern....Once you determine STR Cleric, your choices are made. Orb Wizard? All set. Axe Fighter? Done. Infernal Warlock?......yada....

You CAN go with a build, and then make few/simple choices. However the powers "earmarked" for your build aren't necessarily the best.

Of course, the 'build types' vary.

For Ranger and Cleric ... it's just "what type of attack is it". A power is only better for one build or the other because of the ability you use to attack. Using certain monster manual races, you can get a ranger with 18 in STR and 18 in DEX (Bugbear) ... and your 'build choice' is really only what bonus feat you get [probably take TWF for the ability to dual wield one handed weapon]. Cleric's don't even make an active choice [neither do Paladin's]. They get access to both builds via their channel divinity powers that they can pick between. A Dragonborn Paladin can be built to work equally well with STR and CHA based powers. There is a monster that can allow an 18 STR, 18 WIS Cleric that is equally good at either build.

In other cases, you make a choice and that has a specific effect. 1HW vs. 2HW really only effects your to hit. Wield a versatile weapon, and just be prepared to spend a bit of time to get out your shield if necessary to boost your AC [and access shield based powers]. Fighters care more about weapon groups than what their build type is.

Similarly ... wizards don't have specific powers "tied" to their build type ... the encounter ability for their implement works better with certain powers. Wizards, with their options for daily and utility, definitely have variability. And they do have an implement that is effectively "undecided" for build type.

Warlocks are very rigid for their at-wills, your build determines which ones you get, unless you are human, than you get to choose an additional one. Each of their encounters [but none of their daily or at-wills] are tied to a specific pact in that they give a bigger bonus when used with that pact. This is mostly tied to how good their INT bonus is. Their paragon paths are similarly rigid, with each pact having a single paragon path. Warlocks are amongst the most rigid.

Rogue Encounters have 1 for Brutal Scoundrel, 1 for Artful Dodger and 2 generics. The two build options often have a fixed effect that uses STR or CHA bonus instead when used with the right build. The paragon paths have one power in the Shadow Assassin path that involves charisma, and neither use strength. Warlord's have similar builds around inspiring vs. tactical.

So, there are extremes in terms of options, with a variety of different effects. The most "rigid" are actually the ones that don't really force any build framework onto it. Warlock's are encouraged to take pact powers by slapping the pact name on the power ... but ultimately, you may prefer to give your opponent a -1 penalty to their will defense instead of a - (2 + INT mod) to their attacks. In that case, going out of pact [while still keeping a Charisma based attack] may be worth it.

MrGrenadine

Explorer
Spatula said:
I'm not sure what game you've been playing all these years.

D&D! And loving every minute of it, since '81 or so.

No need to get snippy. 4e narrows a player's choices in terms of character role--its part of the design plan for goodness sake--and obviously some people are ok with the roles as defined. For me, I don't like having to shoehorn my characters into the predefined roles built into the system, so I'll be looking for ways to bend the system to what I want.

Which is what we've all done to *some* extent since the boxed sets, right?

MrG

Spatula

Explorer
MrGrenadine said:
D&D! And loving every minute of it, since '81 or so.

No need to get snippy.
I wasn't being snippy, so I apologize if you took it as such. I honestly don't see how "ignoring combat abilities" is any less possible in 4e than it was in previous edition, since that was the extent of the support those editions had for your non-combatant concept.

MrGrenadine said:
4e narrows a player's choices in terms of character role--its part of the design plan for goodness sake--and obviously some people are ok with the roles as defined. For me, I don't like having to shoehorn my characters into the predefined roles built into the system, so I'll be looking for ways to bend the system to what I want.
Except the roles don't mean anything, mechanically. They're just useful labels that tell you what a class is best at.

In what edition do thieves/rogues not have backstab/sneak attack? In what edition do fighters (and paladins) not have the best armor & HP? In what edition are clerics not the healers & buffers? The roles have always been there, built into the classes. They just were not called out and labeled in the rules.

Hussar

Legend
Spatula said:
/snip

Freedom of Movement & Protection from/Magic Circle against X are pretty much standard issue at the upper levels, both of which negate hold person.

Cast by who? Oh, right, by the casters who dominate the game. Because, for those spells to be standard issue, means that you cannot operate WITHOUT those spells. But, a 4 cleric party can get along just fine thanks. Heck, at those levels, a 4 wizard party isn't doing too shabby.

MrGrenadine said:
In 4e, if someone wants to play a rogue, but not a "striker", or a wizard thats not a "controller", then he or she is out of luck.

And that is way more limiting than it needs to be.

How does someone play a 3e rogue that is not a "striker"?

Smetzger said:
I think with 4e we are going to see the return of a plethora of base character classes and because there is no Druid, Monk, Barbarian, or Illusionist (not saying that you couldn't make something like these with the given rules; but I bet WOTC will release a supplement with these at some point) WOTC has built in a demand for expansion books that did not exist in previous versions.

Return? What do you mean return? Core, there are pretty much the same number of base classes in every edition. Outside of core, 3e had dozens of base classes. Pretty much every splat book introduced one to three new base classes.

This thread has a pretty good list of base classes and that's only counting WOTC and not 3PP. We've always had a bajillion core classes.

Hussar

Legend
Spatula said:
Casters, wands via UMD, scrolls via UMD, and/or passive magic items like this one. The other PCs aren't running around naked and penniless, as it happens.

Hang on, on one hand people are telling me how wizards are so weak because the other classes get much better bang for their buck on magic items, but, no I've got you telling me that it's better for other classes to blow their cash on items that the wizard/cleric casts for free.

40k gp for a ring and you're looking at around a 12th, 13th level PC before he can afford it without stripping himself of most of his goodies. Never mind that the cleric has been casting that spell for the past 4 or 5 levels for free.

Hang on again. How does protection from evil protect you from hold person?

Are you seriously going to argue that the wizard isn't one of the most powerful classes in the game?

Spatula

Explorer
Hussar said:
Hang on, on one hand people are telling me how wizards are so weak because the other classes get much better bang for their buck on magic items,
I never said wizards are weak.

Hussar said:
Hang on again. How does protection from evil protect you from hold person?
It suppresses compulsions, although looking at the spell text it's arguable whether it applies to hold spells. Either way, freedom of movement makes one immune to such effects and you'll want it at high levels to avoid grapples.

Hussar said:
Are you seriously going to argue that the wizard isn't one of the most powerful classes in the game?
Never said that, either.

AllisterH

First Post
The only edition where you can actually build a rogue that "shuns combat" and it be represented mechanically was in Player's Option:Skills & Powers.

Remove ads