• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where did the Talents go?

Mostlyjoe

Explorer
As I dig up my memories of 4E from earlier previews I remember mention of Talents. Did the Talent picks of old get gobbled up in the Power selections of the now? Or am I missing something?

Henry

Autoexreginated
I don't think they actually said "talents", but instead it was "something like talents" -- in other words, they didn't want to give away too much at the time, and a lot of us just assumed "something like talents" really meant "talents."

Voss

First Post
Board members largely assumed the existence of talents.
Though to be fair, that was largely because of how heavily the idea that SW Saga was a preview of 4e was pushed.

Mostlyjoe

Explorer
Ah. That would explain the differences between 4E and SWSE. The Power choice encompasses the idea of Talents and the bits of Feats that really, really should have been in the hands of Class powers.

TwinBahamut

First Post
I think the closest thing to Talents remaining are things like the Rogue's choices between two special abilities. Most of the rest is wrapped up in Powers, Feats, and possibly Paragon Paths.

OchreJelly

First Post
But I wonder if the powers are still organized “talent-like”. Like R&C made it sound like fighters have a tree, for lack of a better word, of sword-and-board powers and a tree of 2hander powers. I’m probably reading too much into old and limited info, but it does make me wonder how powers will be organized. Is it by build? Is it by type (combat vs. utility)? Is it by usage (encounter, daily)? Is it alphabetic? Is it by level? Inquiring gamers want to know

Knight Otu

First Post
OchreJelly said:
But I wonder if the powers are still organized “talent-like”. Like R&C made it sound like fighters have a tree, for lack of a better word, of sword-and-board powers and a tree of 2hander powers. I’m probably reading too much into old and limited info, but it does make me wonder how powers will be organized. Is it by build? Is it by type (combat vs. utility)? Is it by usage (encounter, daily)? Is it alphabetic? Is it by level? Inquiring gamers want to know
From the Wizard spells pages from DDXP, it would seem to be level (and indirectly type, it appears)->(maybe usage, not quite conclusive but for attack powers->)alphabetic. Build and similar things likely won't be a factor in sorting - it'll be a sentence in the power description much like we've seen in the rogue powers (and I suspect we'll see similar things with implements, weapons, and other choices).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads