• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where did you first buy your D&D stuff?

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Heard about D&D from some friends and then a rumour that a local stamp shop (Stamp Corner) was selling the rules.

I bought the Moldvay Basic Set and the Cook Expert Set together. By the time BECMI was revamped I'd moved over to 1E AD&D and bought books from Games Workshop in Sheffield. This was back in the 80s when GW sold a myriad of RPGs.

Nowadays, I tend to buy books online (e.g. from Amazon, Infinity Games, etc.).

Hussar

Legend
From a long defunct FLGS in London, Ontario called, appropriately, Fads in the early 80's. But, as I recall, my brother picked up the Moldvay Basic set at some store while we were travelling in the States, way back when.

Was given Moldvay Basic by a friend who was moving into AD&D in '81.

After that it was either Compleat Strategist in NYC, or Allied Hobbies throughout the 80s.

Mercurius

Legend
My first exposure to D&D was at a community gathering in Boulder CO in 1981 or '82, when I was pulled into a VW bus (I think) and handed a character sheet. It was basic D&D, although am not sure which version. Then, either that same year or the next (no later than '82) I was given a set of four hardcover AD&D books--DMG, PHB, MM, and Deities & Demigods--from friends of my older brother who didn't play anymore as they were getting big-time into computers (their loss, my gain).

But as far as where I first bought D&D stuff? I wish I could remember the name of the store, but there was a game store that I would bike to and buy stuff from, I think on 28th and Canyon or so. There was another game store across town that I would occasionally take the bus to. I think both closed sometime in the '90s. I believe the local comic store, Mile High Comics on Pearl Street, sold some D&D stuff, but I can't remember.

Those were the days...Man, I miss good game stores. Most of the ones I've been to lately are rather creepy places, and usually focus on Magic or Warhammer. There is nothing more off-putting than coming into a game store and a motley group of folks playing Magic at the back of the store all turn to stare are you, then go back to what they were doing without a hello.

Remove ads