Where Do They Get Their Money? Part Two

Today we’re going to talk more about money. Last column I discussed some of the quirks of coinage as a unit of weight backed by the commodity metal it’s minted from. This time, I’ll talk about other kinds of money.

Today we’re going to talk more about money. Last column I discussed some of the quirks of coinage as a unit of weight backed by the commodity metal it’s minted from. This time, I’ll talk about other kinds of money.

Representative money is a unit with no intrinsic value - such as a zinc disc, or a slip of durable paper - that can be exchanged for a precious commodity, such as gold or silver. Why switch to representative money, however, if the previous coins minted from commodities worked perfectly fine before?

Remember my previous column, where I mentioned how precious metal coinage could be defaced by shaving and milling. Having the coinage itself be base metal, exchangeable for commodity, would help ensure and protect its worth. Moreover, if the coin itself is just a token exchangeable for gold or silver, why not use lighter media such as paper or cloth as units of exchange for units that would be unwieldy to carry around?

Five thousand gold pieces weighs about a hundred pounds, if you go by D&D 5E’s estimations - kind of unwieldy for most purposes. A letter of credit from a certified bank, backed by its reserves of gold, however, makes for a more convenient token of exchange than the coinage itself. This lends itself well to settings with established, entrenched mercantile banking systems, especially if the PCs are going to be dealing in units of cargo.

Representative paper money is vulnerable to forgery, however, which means, of course, that counter-forgery measures will enter use. For example, modern paper currency utilizes watermarks, specially made paper or polymer, and holographic strips of metal embedded in the note’s surface. A setting with widespread magic might have slightly more exotic ways of demonstrating its authenticity. A rather more white-collar thieves’ guild might be locked in an arms race of exploits and countermeasures, with squads of roguish alchemists performing experiments to reverse-engineer an alchemical ink used only on authentic banknotes, while a bank’s own experts examine forgeries in order to refine their techniques.

Magic could also be an interesting way of protecting paper money from forgery. A letter of credit signed to a specific bearer could be reinforced with a silent image displaying the features of its owner. Such a note would require disguises to successfully use if filched, and imagine trying to pick pockets if a banknote screams that it’s been stolen once it’s been taken? The note’s rightful owner would of course have received a token from the bank that silenced the magic as long as both were in their possession.

This can lead to an entertaining world building wrinkle. Imagine if you will, a guild of commercial wizards who specialize more in banking, logistics and long-range communications setting up their own bank. Their arcane measures would make their banknotes the most reliable ones in a region, and their access to non-couriered forms of messaging means that they could establish branches in faraway ports without too much difficulty. Now consider dragons. They are sapient, long-lived, and love piles of treasure. An enterprising dragon could form its own banking system run by kobolds day-to-day, a monstrous counterpart to the wizard-backed bank.

Both the examples above - the wizard’s guild or the dragon - would make for an excellent patron for a group of PCs, especially if they own their own trading vessel, or journey for rare commodities such as spices and gems. Those would also make for entertaining dungeon plans, given the necessity for vaults and guards, and provide an exciting backdrop for a heist adventure.

This article was contributed by M.W. Simmes as part of ENWorld's User-Generated Content (UGC) program. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Derren

Hero
I hope the next article will address inflation and deflation and how they apply to fantasy worlds where adventurers often bring in loads of precious metals back from dungeons and where gold or silver is often permanently destroyed to power magic rituals and item creation.

jasper

Rotten DM
I hope the next article will address inflation and deflation and how they apply to fantasy worlds where adventurers often bring in loads of precious metals back from dungeons and where gold or silver is often permanently destroyed to power magic rituals and item creation.
We take you now to Iron City where the Evil Mad Monk Morrus Mortimer Millionaire has been spending his ill-gotten gains from Smog horde.
Billy Ray, “We are here with Jack Sprat and his wife. How has the Evil Mad Monk Morrus Mortimer Millionaire spending affect you?”
Jack Sprat wife, “we just went into the butcher shop to buy some pork bellies. They listed at 17 gp 30 cp. But when we got to the checkout they were 136 gp 69 cp. How are we going to pay for breakfast in the future?”

Dioltach

Legend
Here's a thought: clip a gold coin, then cast Mending on it. Repeat often enough to amass a small pile of gold dust.

Or: buy a cheap flawed gemstone. Cast Mending. Sell your newly flawless and much more valuable gemstone.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Here's a thought: clip a gold coin, then cast Mending on it. Repeat often enough to amass a small pile of gold dust.

Or: buy a cheap flawed gemstone. Cast Mending. Sell your newly flawless and much more valuable gemstone.

I guess that is better then buying a ladder, stripping off the rungs and then selling it as two 10 foot poles.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Adventure loot is not inflationary. Do the math :)

Or I can if I really have to...

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
The early Chinese paper money is an interesting history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banknote#Early_Chinese_paper_money

And there is even a picture of it:
Jiao_zi.jpg

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
On the OP: Livestock was often a type of "money" - at least wealth. Also, the Koku - which was both a unit of rice and currency in Japan - should be considered.

On inflation and treasure piles in D&D. Two arguments on why this isn't a thing

1: Real world. You live in a small village. You win the lottery, an immense amount (say 100 million dollars). Is there an inflation boom in the village? No.

2: D&D world. Your party defeats some large dragon and comes back to town with a quarter million gold pieces, along with a lot of gems and magical items. Does this lead to inflation? No

a: the gems will be kept for emergency/easily portable treasure. The magical items kept or traded. Only the gold/silver will be injected in the local economy.

b: A quarter of a million gp is not that much wealth. I've done math calculating the average GDP per inhabitant previously (you can see this link for the math: https://slugsandsilver.blogspot.com/2018/08/reasonable-rewards.html , I also posted about it on this forum). The average income is about 220 gp/citizen. So a town of 2000 people will have a yearly income of 440 000 gp. The extra gold will be good for the local economy yes, but it will not lead to ridiculous inflation.

c: It probably won't all be spent at once anyway. The PCs will probably be more generous and free wheeling with their money but...

so.... the notion that adventurers and their gold lead to massive inflation is misleading. However, it will be good for the local economy as there often was a shortage of currency. Slight inflation? Sure. A spike in the price of one or two items because the party suddenly bought all the supply (say, healing potions?)? Sure. Overall inflation that the GM should bother about? No.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
On the OP: Livestock was often a type of "money" - at least wealth. Also, the Koku - which was both a unit of rice and currency in Japan - should be considered.

On inflation and treasure piles in D&D. Two arguments on why this isn't a thing

1: Real world. You live in a small village. You win the lottery, an immense amount (say 100 million dollars). Is there an inflation boom in the village? No.

2: D&D world. Your party defeats some large dragon and comes back to town with a quarter million gold pieces, along with a lot of gems and magical items. Does this lead to inflation? No

a: the gems will be kept for emergency/easily portable treasure. The magical items kept or traded. Only the gold/silver will be injected in the local economy.

b: A quarter of a million gp is not that much wealth. I've done math calculating the average GDP per inhabitant previously (you can see this link for the math: https://slugsandsilver.blogspot.com/2018/08/reasonable-rewards.html , I also posted about it on this forum). The average income is about 220 gp/citizen. So a town of 2000 people will have a yearly income of 440 000 gp. The extra gold will be good for the local economy yes, but it will not lead to ridiculous inflation.

c: It probably won't all be spent at once anyway. The PCs will probably be more generous and free wheeling with their money but...

so.... the notion that adventurers and their gold lead to massive inflation is misleading. However, it will be good for the local economy as there often was a shortage of currency. Slight inflation? Sure. A spike in the price of one or two items because the party suddenly bought all the supply (say, healing potions?)? Sure. Overall inflation that the GM should bother about? No.

I think the number of adventurer's in the world would matter.

If the campaign works on the "Chosen Ones" model, where only the PC's are raiding tombs, looting dungeons, and killing dragons, then yeah their impact would be minimal.

On the other hand if the campaign uses the "World of Adventure" model, where there are thousands of adventurers all over the continent, all doing adventuring-type stuff, then they might have an impact on the overall economy. On the level of professional athletes and their related infrastructure does today - a local football or basketball team can have a significant impact on the local economy. A local "Adventurer's Guild" might do the same.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I think the number of adventurer's in the world would matter.

If the campaign works on the "Chosen Ones" model, where only the PC's are raiding tombs, looting dungeons, and killing dragons, then yeah their impact would be minimal.

On the other hand if the campaign uses the "World of Adventure" model, where there are thousands of adventurers all over the continent, all doing adventuring-type stuff, then they might have an impact on the overall economy. On the level of professional athletes and their related infrastructure does today - a local football or basketball team can have a significant impact on the local economy. A local "Adventurer's Guild" might do the same.

This is a good point - but I think that the "liberated hoards of gold" phenomenon would remain rare - after all, there can only be so many hoards! If "adventuring" is common as a career, soon almost all hoards would be found/liberated.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
This is a good point - but I think that the "liberated hoards of gold" phenomenon would remain rare - after all, there can only be so many hoards! If "adventuring" is common as a career, soon almost all hoards would be found/liberated.

If you wanted to be "realistic" about it, yes. :)

My current campaign uses a "World of Adventure" model, and there are few hordes to be found - usually in the possession of creatures capable of dealing with groups of adventures. Instead, treasure from non-sentient creatures usually consists of their hides, claws, and organs that have absorbed and concentrated the magic of the world, making them a valuable resource for alchemists and enchanters.

The PC's get magic items from intelligent opponents they defeat, and ingredients for magic items from non-intelligent opponents. (Although I had one notable exception where a Huge Legendary Manticore had a bezoar they cut out of it's stomach that acted as a "Stone of Luck".)

But that is an additional layer of complexity, and "GP" is a convenient abstraction for most games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads