D&D 5E Where does negative energy fit into the D&D chrono-cosmology?

jgsugden

Legend
In my primary campaign world, the first God, who was everything, bore two children - the Light and the Dark. They in turn created the Dragon Gods, and from there the chain cascaded. These two Gods are essentially the positive and negative energy planes. Unlike the other Gods, they do not manifest as beings, but instead are the end cycle for souls, with the PEP creating souls and lost souls going to the NEP to be consumed. It works very well and provides a pair of 'ultimate' Good and Evil abstract entities for PCs to worship.

Weiley31

Legend
All I know is that Negative Energy come from the Negative Energy plane. As mentioned before, Negative Energy is pretty much what fuels the undead. And is the reason why Negative Energy usually energizes or heals the undead. As the opposite, Positive energy cancels out negative and usually doesn't interact with the Undead in a positive(LOL) way. Although, I believe there is AN undead template that is pretty much a Positive Energy version of an Undead.

As mentioned before, too much negative energy(lvl drain//exhaustion) can have deadly consequences for living beings. Yet too much Positive energy(Positive levels) end up causing crazy stuff happening as well. I believe to be on the Positive Energy plane, without proper protection or circumstances, can cause you to literally explode due to energy overload.Being on the Negative Energy Plane without protection, undead conversion, circumstances will make you into a soulless dry husk very quickly.

The levels of Negative energy and Positive energy probably help keep the Great Wheel/Multiverse balanced. Negative energy the fossil fuel emissions and Positive energy the premium gas. Clerics Channel Positive/Negative Energy depending on what aspect they are trying to fuel. So Death Clerics would channel Negative Energy naturally.

And then Shadowfell is the Plane of Shadows. Which was created from portions of the Negative Energy Plane.

Regardless, both Negative AND Positive Energy Planes aren't really places you want to visit as a tourist. Unless your Undead: then the Negative Energy Plane is basically Disney World/Land for ya.

Last edited:

Remove ads