D&D 5E Where is the content?

The Big BZ

Explorer
Wildemount comes with four adventures. Ravnica came with adventures, so Theros probably will too.
Ravnica came with one short adventure which is very tied to Ravnica and I've already run it. I'm pretty sure the Wildemount book will be same, short taster adventures designed to give an entry point to Wildemount lore or whatever. I actually love that type of adventure and they are perfect for source books etc but they aren't really suitable for sustaining an on going campiagn.

The Big BZ

Explorer
Kobold Press has over 200 mostly shorter adventures for 5E available; lots of anthologies (Lairs, Prepared, Towers), the Warlock Lairs series (46 modules and counting), and several longer modules (with a lvl 1-13 epic coming out later this year, as well as more Warlock mods and at least two more anthologies of all new adventure content).

Broadsword is a great 5e resource as well - check that out (and all of DMDave's stuff).

If you're up to converting - well, there are 20+ core Pathfinder adventure paths alone, the 3 Dungeon Magazine adventure paths from 3e, and lots of interesting and convertible Dungeon Crawl Classics (including the 3e Dungeon Crawl Classics) modules and Lamentations of the Flame Princess modules (if you're into the weird - which I am). Also check out some of the OSR review blogs for other suggestions.

There's enough there to keep you going for a loooong time, and that's without hitting the slush pile...
To be honest I have done a lot of the above, used Warlock stuff, used the Creature Codex Book of Lairs, converted stuff from PF, used old Dungeons modules etc etc but I guess my point is if I want to walk into a shop and buy a WotC adventure to run off the shelf at the moment I can't, which seems strange.

The Big BZ

Explorer
To add to what others have said:

Don't forget that WotC also has a season of AL modules for every hardback, too. I ran the Ravenloft season as a campaign last year (need to get back to my writeups on those, but shameless plug, I'm working on a thread about it here).

Or you could check out Odyssey of the Dragonlords, which is amazing (I want to run it so much!!).

As I mention in my OP some of our players have played a lot of AL. Myself and another guy in the group run the local AL so we have run or played in every Season so far, even down to a lot of the Epics. I realise that I am a heavy user but I just don't think unreasonablly so.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
As I mention in my OP some of our players have played a lot of AL. Myself and another guy in the group run the local AL so we have run or played in every Season so far, even down to a lot of the Epics.
Oops, I missed that--sorry! That's what I get for reading too fast.

I do recommend Odyssey of the Dragonlords, then. Or Courts of the Shadow Fey from Kobold Press (you didn't mention that above, so I assume you haven't run it).

The Big BZ

Explorer
Oops, I missed that--sorry! That's what I get for reading too fast.

I do recommend Odyssey of the Dragonlords, then. Or Courts of the Shadow Fey from Kobold Press (you didn't mention that above, so I assume you haven't run it).

We mixed a little bit of Shadows into our Saltmarsh campaign, it's very good. We like the look of Odyssey book would be a big change in aesthetic for us.

Fenris447

Explorer
I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but I think you are very much not an average group. Don't get me wrong; I'm insanely jealous and impressed that you all have gotten through it all.

But I'm in 4 active groups, two of which I DM. The two I am a player in are both homebrew. The ones I DM both meet every 2-3 weeks and play for 4-6 hours. One is Descent into Avernus and the other is homebrew. Based on everything I've seen in the D&D community, I think most peoples' experience is closer to mine than it is to yours in terms of amount of playtime and settings.

I think the combination of your higher-than-average play time and your aversion to homebrew put you right outside of WotC's target in terms of quantity of content. But if you want more, it might be time to open yourself to the possibility of homebrew.

The Big BZ

Explorer
I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but I think you are very much not an average group. Don't get me wrong; I'm insanely jealous and impressed that you all have gotten through it all.

But I'm in 4 active groups, two of which I DM. The two I am a player in are both homebrew. The ones I DM both meet every 2-3 weeks and play for 4-6 hours. One is Descent into Avernus and the other is homebrew. Based on everything I've seen in the D&D community, I think most peoples' experience is closer to mine than it is to yours in terms of amount of playtime and settings.

I think the combination of your higher-than-average play time and your aversion to homebrew put you right outside of WotC's target in terms of quantity of content. But if you want more, it might be time to open yourself to the possibility of homebrew.
Maybe we get through a lot but every other year has been fine because there has been a big summer AP release plus an anthology type release in the spring. This year, unless they surprise us, it will be a full year between adventure releases .... That just seems like the wrong balance to me

Remove ads