• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Where is the Factotum?

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I'd be inclined to say a Factotum could use Reserve Feats since he actually does use spell slots for his SLAs. The text does say "actual spells or spell slots."
yay!

Seriously, because the factotum is so limited in the magic department, I don't see how most people would have a problem with Reserve feats.

But i do like RAW support for such things.

DumbPaladin

First Post
One way Factotum may be Abusing:

-Factotum casts Silence, Remove Scent & Spectral Hand before entering the encounter, spending 3 IP.
-Factotum moves about 200 feet from the dragon, spending 1 IP to add his level (+11) to his already well invested Hide check to reach this range without being detected. He waits a few minutes to be sure he's prepared for the upcoming encounter (and resetting his IP)

Nice try, but that would only work with a DM who decides to not use logic or ignore RAI all together ... why would the spells you cast before FOR the upcoming fight with the dragon be part of a "different" encounter? I certainly wouldn't allow that. I'd want very much to know why you're casting remove scent on yourself for no reason, when there appears to be no need for such a spell.

Quite a few things are "abusable" if a DM *allows* players to abuse them.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Nice try, but that would only work with a DM who decides to not use logic or ignore RAI all together ... why would the spells you cast before FOR the upcoming fight with the dragon be part of a "different" encounter? I certainly wouldn't allow that. I'd want very much to know why you're casting remove scent on yourself for no reason, when there appears to be no need for such a spell.

Quite a few things are "abusable" if a DM *allows* players to abuse them.
When Does an Encounter End?

marcielle

First Post
I am surprised nobody has brought up Iaijutsu spam.
Gain EWP: Gnomish Quickrazor(I prefer to do this through PrC Master of masks)
Cast Grease under opponent.
You have 5 ranks in balance don't you? Of course you do. You aren't flat footed on the Grease. Everyone else who didn't spend 5 RANKS is ALWAYS flatfooted when balancing.
Guess what you get to do to people who are flatfooted? Iajutsu them for extra damage. Quickrazors are drawn and sheathed as free actions so YOU IAJUTSU EVERY ATTACK.
Use Cunning Surge for extra attacks. Depending on how many Fonts of Inspiration you have, You can cause some SERIOUS DEVASTATION. You can get 4 attacks by level 8 and a maxed Iajutsu skill combined with Cunning Knowledge means you get an extra 2d6 even if you roll a 1. Roll a 10 and thats 4d6.

This is repeatable ALL DAY LONG since Arcane Dillattante let's you use ALL Wiz/Sorc wands without a UMD check and IP resets every encounter.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
A gnome can get Quickrazors without needing the prestige class or feat, by swapping his racial weapon proficiencies.

Casting Grease via Arcane Dilletante is a 1/day option, as you can't prep the same spell twice. Beyond that, items (wand) would need a higher than normal CL, as Grease only lasts round/level. Also, it's only a 10 ft square, I think you're severely overestimating how long it would take an enemy to get out of it. In any case, I loathe set up times and try to avoid them like the plague. I guess with cunning surge "set up time" turns into "3 inspiration points," though. I'd still rather just buy a ring of blinking, dip into Swordsage for flatfooted-granting maneuvers, grab some skill tricks, etc...

Cunning Surge will get you one extra attack. If you try to use CS multiple times on the same turn, the DM's just going to ban/nerf the class feature anyway.

Cunning Knowledge can help your Iaijutsu Focus check once per day. It will boost your damage by mid levels by 1d6-2d6 on a single attack.

I have never heard anyone claim that Factotums count as having wizard spellcasting and can thus use the spell items just because they can use spell-like abilities drawn from that spell list before. You cannot do this. However, with UMD as a class skill and every reason to want a good charisma score and circlet of persuasion (helps UMD, Iaijutsu, Intimidate, Diplomacy, and more!), you can probably use wands and scrolls just fine anyway.

emoplato

First Post
I am surprised nobody has brought up Iaijutsu spam.
Gain EWP: Gnomish Quickrazor(I prefer to do this through PrC Master of masks)
Cast Grease under opponent.
You have 5 ranks in balance don't you? Of course you do. You aren't flat footed on the Grease. Everyone else who didn't spend 5 RANKS is ALWAYS flatfooted when balancing.
Guess what you get to do to people who are flatfooted? Iajutsu them for extra damage. Quickrazors are drawn and sheathed as free actions so YOU IAJUTSU EVERY ATTACK.
Use Cunning Surge for extra attacks. Depending on how many Fonts of Inspiration you have, You can cause some SERIOUS DEVASTATION. You can get 4 attacks by level 8 and a maxed Iajutsu skill combined with Cunning Knowledge means you get an extra 2d6 even if you roll a 1. Roll a 10 and thats 4d6.

This is repeatable ALL DAY LONG since Arcane Dillattante let's you use ALL Wiz/Sorc wands without a UMD check and IP resets every encounter.
Did someone say mercurial strike? I also wonder if razing strike would be allowed, otherwise one level of sneak attacking fighter wouldn't hurt.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Did someone say mercurial strike? I also wonder if razing strike would be allowed, otherwise one level of sneak attacking fighter wouldn't hurt.
Oh, the Factotum also gets the ability to Sneak Attack, +1d6 for every point of IP he wants to put into the attack.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads