D&D 5E Where is Trap the Soul???

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
If this has been discussed earlier, please post a link to that discussion!

If it hasn't - what has happened to Trap the Soul?

I can see it listed as an 8th level wizard spell, but can't find it in the spell descriptions which run from Transport Via Plants to Tree Stride.

Surely I can't be the first person to wonder about this?

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
But Imprisonment is a 9th level spell, and trap the soul is listed in the wizard spell list under 8th level spells so... where is it? editing blunder?

Dausuul

Legend
The PHB is demonstrating how the spell works. The entry is still there in the wizard spell list, but it's only a hollow shell; the essence of the spell is gone.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
But Imprisonment is a 9th level spell, and trap the soul is listed in the wizard spell list under 8th level spells so... where is it? editing blunder?

Probably editing yep. Check out the minimus containment option under Imprisonment. That seems to be where it ended up.

It's a good thing they decided to focus on a staggered release so the books could be sold without glaring errors.
No book is perfect.
Now imagine the errors that would have cropped in had they tried to get the DMG out early and had to spend a few weeks fewer tweaking the PHB and MM.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Imagine what the books would be like if both the PHB and Monster Manual were delayed a couple of months and combed over just a few more time to coincide with the release of the DMG next week.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Imagine the howls of rage from people complaining that releasing all three books together, and so close to the holidays, was WOTC demanding that they spend $150 on the game before even finding out if it was any good.

Basically, there is no schedule they could have followed that wouldn't draw screams from somebody.

I wish I could remember exactly where, but yes, someone at WotC confirmed it's an editing error. It should have been taken off the wizard list when it was folded into imprisonment.

Remove ads