• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

where to from here? planning thread

Cleon

Legend
And another thread that I'm returning to after several months...

All of the Frilond content is still accessible via the Wayback machine. The albino wyrm conversion is here for example. That said, it would probably make sense to revisit the official creatures converted on that site.

Based on my notes, it looks like these might all be candidates:
  • Albino Wyrm
  • Ape, Carnivorous
  • Bainligor
  • Bloody Bones, Master
  • Bloody Bones, Minion
  • Carapace
  • Hutaakan Temple Ghoul
  • Water Leaper
  • Whispering Moth Swarm

We're in the middle of an Albino Wyrm conversion as we speak type.

I remember suggesting doing an Int 6 Humanoid version of an Ape a few years ago on these forums a few years ago but didn't have any takers. Still game for it though.

That alternative Bloody Bones definitely looks the most worth doing. We might want to rename it though, to distinguish it from the Bloody Bones conversions we already have.

The Hutaakan Ghoul and Fungal Carapace should be interesting. I've also been fancying doing our own take on the True Ghoul for some time, as well as the Zombie Raft from their adventure in Dungeon #70.

As for the rest, I'm not finding them so tempting. I thought we already had a Bainlagor, but it's not in the CC.

That Frelond conversion of the Water Leaper is based on a White Dwarf monster which I don't think got an "official" publication. We've already got a Water Leaper in the CC based on the much smaller version in HR3, so I'm not sure we should do it.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
My feeling is that we should do most of these, just to make sure they're converted. I'd have to see the stats, but maybe that water leaper is just an advanced form of what we already did, though.

Cleon

Legend
My feeling is that we should do most of these, just to make sure they're converted. I'd have to see the stats, but maybe that water leaper is just an advanced form of what we already did, though.

I'll need to rummage through my collection to find White Dwarf #20 to be sure but I think that Water Leaper's different enough to be a separate monster.

freyar

Well, we can add all these to the appropriate queues. We should probably focus on the ones that we can actually upload in the CC, though.

freyar

Ehh, whatever comes up in the appropriate threads. It would be good to add those to the appropriate unconverted critters lists.

Cleon

Legend
Ehh, whatever comes up in the appropriate threads. It would be good to add those to the appropriate unconverted critters lists.

Fair enough, especially as it means we leave the work to Echohawk since we can't update those posts! ;)

Given the choice, I'm finding the Bloody Bones the most tempting.

So are we going to start a "converting monsters from White Dwarf magazine" thread for the Water Leaper and its friends?

freyar

I feel like we did some White Dwarf critters before, but I might just be remember conversations rather than conversions. In any case, it's probably reasonable to stick them in the appropriate "type" threads. Unless you want to make a new thread. ;)

Cleon

Legend
I feel like we did some White Dwarf critters before, but I might just be remember conversations rather than conversions. In any case, it's probably reasonable to stick them in the appropriate "type" threads. Unless you want to make a new thread. ;)

I had a quick look through this forum but all I could find was the WHITE DWARF Magazine monster index thread. That doesn't contain any conversions and was last updated in November 2009.

Rather than scatter them all over existing threads, I think it'd be better to start a Converting Monsters from White Dwarf Magazine thread. For a start, I'm not even sure where we'd put the WD Water Leaper conversion.

Getting back on-track, shall we reboot the Converting monsters from First Edition modules thread to do the Bane of Llewellyn Bloody Bones?

Remove ads