• In the culture

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • In the background

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • Totally freeform, wherever you like

Votes: 24 15.7%
  • No ability bonuses, maybe an extra species feature instead

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • Split between species/culture/background (say +1 from each?)

Votes: 42 27.5%
  • Some other option

Votes: 25 16.3%

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This is just a quick dirty poll. It doesn't replace the survey we'll do later, or the actual playtest packet we'll put out. I just wanted to do a quick straw poll to get the sense of consensus on it.

We're referring to the ability score bonuses currently assigned to races in the existing 5E core rulebooks. Most get +3/+4 in total at present, usually split into a +2 and another +2 or +1, with some exceptions.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Probably the only one to vote this option, but I would remove the chargen ASI. Stats generally start high enough to be relevant at first level, and proficiency and bounded accuracy takes care of the rest. Having starting stats a little lower would allow for more space to develop you character stat wise instead of capping your 20 in your main stat by level 4 or 8.

Extra racial/background/culture features are way more interesting and influence the narrative in a way that no pluses would ever do.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Probably the only one to vote this option, but I would remove the chargen ASI. Stats generally start high enough to be relevant at first level, and proficiency and bounded accuracy takes care of the rest. Having starting stats a little lower would allow for more space to develop you character stat wise instead of capping your 20 in your main stat by level 4 or 8.

Extra racial/background/culture features are way more interesting and influence the narrative in a way that no pluses would ever do.
You are not alone. :)

Racial ASIs are pointless IMO, as they neither represent racial improvements over others which cannot be made up for later nor affect maximums.
Background ASIs are pointless IMO because backgrounds are completely customizable so you can put the modifiers wherever you want anyway.
Class ASIs are pointless IMO because you already are putting your best scores (typically) in the scores you need, so you are inflating them.
Floating ASIs are pointless IMO because PCs already are superior to the norm due to the ability score generation methods.

I would rather just see (at best) another racial trait, but frankly you can just remove them from the game and everything plays out just fine. They simply are not needed at all.

If you want even better scores, then just have the ability score generation methods bumped up.

EscherEnigma

Adventurer
I chose "totally freeform", but what I actually have in mind is something like all (species, culture/background/whatever-you-call-it, class) having a bonus, and then during character creation you choose one.

The consequence is probably close to "players just assign it wherever they want", but it does still push the fantasy that certain species/cultures/background/class/whatever are associated with being stronger/smarter/wiser/more-bodacious/whatever.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

I feel the opposite way, but for similar reasons. I think that lowering the starting ability score spread would increase the pressure to put every ASI into one's main Ability Score, causing more players to not even consider any other option as a possiblity until later in the game, reducing willingness to play even marginally MAD characters, and overall increase sameyness of build choices.

Going the other way, however, has the opposite effect. The folks who see maximizing their main stat as too important to ignore can get that out of the way more quickly, and then look at secondary and tertiary stats, and feats, at earlier levels, as well as being more willing to do things like play a strength rogue, or bump Int solely for int skills, etc.

glass

(he, him)
I voted other.

My preference would be Species, Class, and Profession (background minus the bit that end up in Culture) all contributing. Definitely no ASIs for Culture though!

_
glass.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I feel the opposite way, but for similar reasons. I think that lowering the starting ability score spread would increase the pressure to put every ASI into one's main Ability Score, causing more players to not even consider any other option as a possiblity until later in the game, reducing willingness to play even marginally MAD characters, and overall increase sameyness of build choices.

Going the other way, however, has the opposite effect. The folks who see maximizing their main stat as too important to ignore can get that out of the way more quickly, and then look at secondary and tertiary stats, and feats, at earlier levels, as well as being more willing to do things like play a strength rogue, or bump Int solely for int skills, etc.

I agree with you, and I think the source of that is the way that in 5e, you have to choose between ASI or Feats. I think a good compromise would be to remove the racials ASI, but allow for both feats AND ASI to be part of a character progression in A5E.

Remove ads