• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Where was 4e headed before it was canned?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Please show me where 5e prescribes the actions you suggest must be DC 25. Otherwise, we're done.
Why on earth? I didnt say it did I said it has been a typical response? from actual people on this forum not sure why knickers in a bind.

But here is the thing we say we cannot predict what kinds of things our characters can achieve and if we have some say 10 and others say 25 within approximately the same genre it is actually evidence for the problem we are talking about.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Nice power, does the DM arbitrate whether this power is allowed in his game? I seem to think he would.
Yes very likely he does and he has a bunch of other utility powers to look at to help him decide if its appropriate. And even when a player improvises a move the DM has things like this to look at

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Do we need to list the resources available to martials in 5e? I mean they vary by (sub)class, but they are there. Action Surge, in particular comes to mind from your description.
Also it wasnt I that said the stunt HAD to be at-will again its people justifying their spells being more awesome than skill use.

Imaro

Legend
And, yet, you have zero problems with the developers telling you that your campaign WILL be Harry Potteresque high magic with spells being the go to default solution to nearly every problem?

Methinks you might be internalizing things just a tad.
Putting aside the 5e variants that were already mentioned for Talislanta and Middle Earth...It's dead simple to disallow the classes/subclasses that use magic... magic items aren't assumed... so how are they telling me my campaign "WILL" be Harry Poteresque high magic? Seems like you're ascribing your own problems and issues with running a different type of campaign to me... without actually asking me how I'd do it.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
I'm not sure I'd describe the process I've seen DMs go through as "calculating". I'd guess most of them would just consider the given chart. Additionally, barring HP, I'm not sure how you figure 75% better.

Me neither.

That's why I pay game developers. They can take the time and crunch the math and come up with a framework that will result in something that at least is better than "gut feeling".

]

OK...Wouldn't this have just been helping someone to soften their own fall? 5e has a general framework for this ... they would (upon a successful check of your own) gain advantage on their own check.

It's quite easy to disallow the classes/subclasses that use magic... magic items aren't assumed... so how are they telling me my campaign "WILL" be Harry Poteresque high magic?

Having tried this, I'd LOVE to see how you did it? Ban all classes except fighter (battle master and champion) and Rogue? Because that's pretty much it for classes that don't use magic. I suppose you might toss a monk in there and a Frenzy Barbarian. Yeah, good luck getting your players on board with 5 classes. I sure couldn't do it.

I mean, good grief, they just came out with a barbarian that RAGES MAGIC. That's how high magic 5e is. Oh, and I hope you love creating all your own material because nothing published by WotC is going to help you in the slightest here. Every 5e WotC module assumes magic items.

Are you seriously going to argue that 5e D&D is not high magic?

Hussar

Legend
Oh, by the way, what is the 5e check that is being "helped" to reduce falling damage? Falling is falling in 5e. There are no checks, there are no saving throws AFAIK. So, what am I "helping" if I aid another? Pushing him down faster?

Imaro

Legend
Having tried this, I'd LOVE to see how you did it? Ban all classes except fighter (battle master and champion) and Rogue? Because that's pretty much it for classes that don't use magic. I suppose you might toss a monk in there and a Frenzy Barbarian. Yeah, good luck getting your players on board with 5 classes. I sure couldn't do it.

I mean, good grief, they just came out with a barbarian that RAGES MAGIC. That's how high magic 5e is. Oh, and I hope you love creating all your own material because nothing published by WotC is going to help you in the slightest here. Every 5e WotC module assumes magic items.

Are you seriously going to argue that 5e D&D is not high magic?

So I'l go ahead and assume you don't have any supplements if all you had access to were these classes/subclasses??

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
With rangers, fighters and rogues and warlords and all their build and types a 4e campaign without magic is pretty damn easy

And no homebrew things required

Last edited:

Imaro

Legend
Oh, by the way, what is the 5e check that is being "helped" to reduce falling damage? Falling is falling in 5e. There are no checks, there are no saving throws AFAIK. So, what am I "helping" if I aid another? Pushing him down faster?

Ask the poster trying to use acrobatics to stop another character from taking falling damage...

EDIT: Though honestly that was an accidental post.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads