D&D 4E Where was 4e headed before it was canned?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
And that stuck with what you can accomplish "at-will" is very much a limit... even with a certain measure of wuxia interpretation going on.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
...and increased and enumerated tactical options has what, exactly, to do with a more freeform style of play?
Show me an official magic system in D&D that is free form and we will talk about it till then relegating non-magic types to freeform is putting them in second fiddle land.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I can choose to expend extra effort to achieve extraordinary effects via utility powers in 4e (and HS)... they allow reliable tactically selectable bursts of awesome. A 5e environment implies the non-magical are stuck with what they can always do since no where are they allowed that extra effort to make it reliable or extreme .... unless its via magic.

The DC system and Advantage/Disadvantage provide pretty good reliable results in actual play.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Show me an official magic system in D&D that is free form and we will talk about it till then relegating non-magic types to freeform is putting them in second fiddle land.

This is counter-intuitive: if Magic was freeform as well, it would be unlimited in power and scope. The rules for Magic are a limiting factor, and magic fails far more often in my experience than Skill rule usage.

Free-form = power in D&D.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
You ignored the last part there was an AND on it

Not really: given the way the numbers work, that is not necessary. Ability Mod + Proficiency/Expertise + maybe Advantage allow some pretty huge things. Certainly more reliably over a full game day than Magic does.

Remove ads