D&D 4E Where was 4e headed before it was canned?

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Ever had a DM ask for a series of swimming rolls guaranteeing a drowning process because you know he didnt know how to swim? I have nor is eyeballing the effect of multiple die rolls natural for most people.

This is what I think of when I think of DM improvising free from.

And in D&D land I think of "Just say NO" mentality being disguised because only magic can really do the extraordinary.

This, I think, bears some truth. (As well as a Dunning-Kruger effect going the other way.) To which I would say two things:

a) It ends up not mattering as much as we think, because playgroups tend to share mentalities/worldviews. (That is, if everyone at the table thinks it should take 5 rolls instead of 1 or 2...its irrelevant to their enjoyment.)* Additionally, it lets different tables play to different motifs ("superheroic" vs "grim", etc.)
a1) I would also recommend D&D drop the "auto-success" aspect of magic/spellcasting. This, I think, is the real mechanical source of the disparity.

b) I would advocate for D&D to adopt some of the newer "clock" tech from games like Apocalypse World and Blades in the Dark (for non-combat activities, anyway.) At least, as I see it, the problem with the current D&D paradigm is more along the lines of a lack of negotiated clarity about what is at risk and what is to be gained from each roll. Since that negotiation is not a part of the default behavior of calling for skill checks.
b1) Yes, 4e Skill Challenges were a not-so-great implementation of such clocks.

*I am part of a group that used to regularly auger through wooden doors "quietly" to spy on the next dungeon room. Apparently nobody else in the group had ever hand-augered a standing door before I got there....."quiet" is not an applicable phrase...."large drumhead" is more apt.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I can have a character improvise a ritual via a skill challenge context easily if 4e... in part because it has a cost. I can let it be more improvised.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This, I think, bears some truth. (As well as a Dunning-Kruger effect going the other way.) To which I would say two things:

a) It ends up not mattering as much as we think, because playgroups tend to share mentalities/worldviews. (That is, if everyone at the table thinks it should take 5 rolls instead of 1 or 2...its irrelevant to their enjoyment.)* Additionally, it lets different tables play to different motifs ("superheroic" vs "grim", etc.)
a1) I would also recommend D&D drop the "auto-success" aspect of magic/spellcasting. This, I think, is the real mechanical source of the disparity.

b) I would advocate for D&D to adopt some of the newer "clock" tech from games like Apocalypse World and Blades in the Dark (for non-combat activities, anyway.) At least, as I see it, the problem with the current D&D paradigm is more along the lines of a lack of negotiated clarity about what is at risk and what is to be gained from each roll. Since that negotiation is not a part of the default behavior of calling for skill checks.
b1) Yes, 4e Skill Challenges were a not-so-great implementation of such clocks.

*I am part of a group that used to regularly auger through wooden doors "quietly" to spy on the next dungeon room. Apparently nobody else in the group had ever hand-augered a standing door before I got there....."quiet" is not an applicable phrase...."large drumhead" is more apt.

I personally love the Dungeon Crawl Classics implementation of spells (and Martial Stunting, for that matter). Skill checks that can cause serious, serious problems for the Caster and his friends.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
So is it possible that maybe you just have a different view on this? That what you view as crippling (DM and player interaction and negotiation)
The game isnt giving the player any negotiation tools (resources) in 5e land that I can see.

I just noted about being able to allow a player to improvise a ritual in 4e - and that really that is enabled because of skill challenge mechanics and having cost mechanisms and a process for "group success".

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The game isnt giving the player any negotiation tools (resources) in 5e land that I can see.

I just noted about being able to allow a player to improvise a ritual in 4e - and that really that is enabled because of skill challenge mechanics and having cost mechanisms and a process for success.

Player: "I would like to X"

DM: "You can certainly try. DC 25 for Acrobatics."

Mechanical superstructure with a very mathematically streamlined process, right there.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases