D&D 5E Where We've Been and Where We Might Be Going (or, What I Think WotC Is Doing)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I agree 100% with this merging, plus I will never have to try and spell Phlogiston again, awful word, I can just say Astral Plane. There is already Githyanki and Mindflayers and I guess Astral Elves flying around in ships on the Astral Plane in 5e.

Plus why call them ASTRAL Elves if they hadn't ready decided to merge the Phlogiston (yuck) with the Astral Plane. Hell adding in the Blind Eternities while we're at it.
As a stand in for "Spelljamming Elves," same reason they obscured the Strixhaven batyre of the Owlin.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I agree 100% with this merging, plus I will never have to try and spell Phlogiston again, awful word, I can just say Astral Plane. There is already Githyanki and Mindflayers and I guess Astral Elves flying around in ships on the Astral Plane in 5e.

Plus why call them ASTRAL Elves if they hadn't ready decided to merge the Phlogiston (yuck) with the Astral Plane. Hell adding in the Blind Eternities while we're at it.
Most people shorten it to the Phlo or the Flow. It's not that hard to avoid spelling out Phlogiston.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yes, it's obviously easier than actually providing justification and reasons for previous misinformed posts. especially when I was simply asking questions like "Which important pieces ? How is it a mess ?"...

Mod Note:
When folks don't want to engage with you, the appropriate action is to politely let it drop - not make insulting potshots as they disengage.

If that level of civility isn't what you're up for right now, you may be excused from the discussion.

Staffan

Legend
Glass Canon disagrees with you
The GCP is actually a good example, I think. I started listening to their original Giantslayer podcast, and couldn't really be hedgehogged past some time in the middle of book 2. Part of that was that the system took up too much space in each episode (not helped by the combat-heavy nature of Paizo's adventure paths and sometimes really mechanics-cheesy encounters, like the shadow rat swarm that stack being incorporeal (half damage from non-force effects, or none from non-magic attacks), total concealment (50% miss chance), swarm traits (half damage from slashing/piercing, dealing automatic damage to targets in the swarm) and Strength damage.

I mean, things are clearly working out for them, but a comparison of the premiere 5e Actual Play against the premiere Pathfinder Actual Play is definitely very strongly tilted in favor of 5e.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I mean, things are clearly working out for them, but a comparison of the premiere 5e Actual Play against the premiere Pathfinder Actual Play is definitely very strongly tilted in favor of 5e.
I'm not sure you posted in the right thread, but for me it was striking watching Matt Mercer run a Pathfinder one-shot. So much more bookkeeping compared to normal.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases