Where's the News from Gencon?

dm4hire

Explorer
I'm surprised by the lack of news from Gencon. Usually there are some game announcements and such that seep out during the week and then everyone compiles them the week after. I've seen no real signs of anyone talking about new product announcements. Were there no major announcements this year? Or at least cool news?

I've heard about the Paizo/Obsidian team up. That's about it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Paizo announced their Occult Adventures book. FFG demoed Star Wars Armarda and announced Star Wars Assault. Numenera, Fate, and Paizo won lots of ENnies. WotC released the 5E Player's Handbook and previewed the Monster Manual. Codename: Morningstar was revealed as DungeonScape.

Nellisir

Hero
Paizo announced their Occult Adventures book.
Paizo announces several books a year, although I'll admit this one has escaped my notice. Will it make the front page when you recover?

FFG demoed Star Wars Armarda and announced Star Wars Assault.
I guess that counts, although I don't know what it means.

Numenera, Fate, and Paizo won lots of ENnies.
Nice, but nothing to look forward to.

WotC released the 5E Player's Handbook...
...several weeks ago...
...and previewed the Monster Manual.
Via a number of websites.

Codename: Morningstar was revealed as DungeonScape.
Was there actual information, or just a name change?

Ordinarily I feel like I miss something by not going to Gen Con (admittedly it's hard to top the one I -did- attend... ;) ), but nope, no jealousy this year. From what I can gather, WotC basically announced that there would be no announcements at this time. No OGL, no FR, no nuthin'. Paizo has a new book. Just a slow Gen Con. It happens.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Paizo announces several books a year, although I'll admit this one has escaped my notice. Will it make the front page when you recover?

Yup!

...several weeks ago...

The official release date was the 19th.

Via a number of websites.

Well, yes. As opposed to semaphore? What other medium were you expecting new news from? You're asking on a website right now!

Was there actual information, or just a name change?

Craploads of info and demos. I did a nearly 2- hour interview/demo with them.

Just a slow Gen Con. It happens.

It didn't feel slow. It felt like the major release of a new edition of D&D. The buzz was everywhere.

Nellisir

Hero
Cool.
The official release date was the 19th.
Let's be honest. Official, in that statement, should have a *qualifier. There were two release dates, and the 19th was the later one.

Well, yes. As opposed to semaphore? What other medium were you expecting new news from? You're asking on a website right now!
There was absolutely no difference between those previews and the other previews that have come out. So...yeah, I expect something different. Smuggled snapshots of a mock-up of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. Breaking news. Quotes from transcripts of seminars. Stuff that's a little different from what I saw last week, pre-Con, and will see next week, post-Con.

Craploads of info and demos. I did a nearly 2- hour interview/demo with them.
Good.

It didn't feel slow. It felt like the major release of a new edition of D&D. The buzz was everywhere.
It's not just you/here...I haven't seen any big excitement about Gencon anywhere. Maybe it was buzzing there, but no one has conveyed it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Cool.

Let's be honest. Official, in that statement, should have a *qualifier. There were two release dates, and the 19th was the later one.

There was absolutely no difference between those previews and the other previews that have come out. So...yeah, I expect something different. Smuggled snapshots of a mock-up of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. Breaking news. Quotes from transcripts of seminars. Stuff that's a little different from what I saw last week, pre-Con, and will see next week, post-Con.

Good.

It's not just you/here...I haven't seen any big excitement about Gencon anywhere. Maybe it was buzzing there, but no one has conveyed it.

Sorry to hear you're disappointed.

Stormonu

Legend
.. And shock of shocks, Palladium had actual boxes of the Robotech Tactics game ...

Well, if you can count boxes on one hand, and on one finger.

</sarcasm>

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases