• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Which 4E adventures did you play?

Which of these 4E adventures have you played or DMed?

• H1: Keep on the Shadowfell

Votes: 79 63.7%
  • H2: Thunderspire Labrinth

Votes: 58 46.8%
  • H3: Pyramid of Shadows

Votes: 30 24.2%
  • P1: King of the Trollhaunt Warrens

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • P2: Demon Queen's Enclave

Votes: 23 18.5%
  • P3: Assault on Nightwyrm Fortress

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • E1: Death's Reach

Votes: 13 10.5%
  • E2: Kingdom of the Ghouls

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • E3: Prince of Undeath

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • FR1: Scepter Tower of Spellguard

Votes: 18 14.5%
  • Seekers of the Ashen Crown

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • HS1: The Slaying Stone

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • HS2: Orcs of Stonefang Pass

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • Marauders of the Dune Sea

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Madness at Gardmore Abbey

Votes: 19 15.3%
  • Tomb of Horrors

Votes: 18 14.5%
  • Revenge of the Giants

Votes: 13 10.5%
  • Halls of Undermountain

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • Reavers of Harkenwold (DM's Kit)

Votes: 14 11.3%
  • Cairn of the Winter King (Monster Vault)

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • Murder in Baldur's Gate

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 32 25.8%
  • None

Votes: 23 18.5%

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Just curious as to which of the official, published 4E adventures people have run. I haven't included Dungeon Magazine adventures or 3rd party adventures; if anyone wants to start a poll, feel free.

For myself, I ran the entirety of the HPE series. It has good adventures and bad ones. The best? For us they were Keep on the Shadowfell, King of the Trollhaunt Warrens and Demon Queen's Enclave. E1 and E3 also had some cool moments. The one that was the worst? Pyramid of Shadows - some good ideas, but it needed a lot more development.

Unfortunately, my campaigns have never been in a place where I could play Madness of Gardmore Abbey; I regret that. It may happen one day... quite possibly with a different system. After all, I'm currently running Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil for the first time... as a 24th level conversion for 4E!

I did play through Tomb of Horrors (not the conversion), which was a lot of fun, although the final dungeon wasn't quite as good as it could have been, IMO. There was good material in it, though.

I've left out Free RPG Day adventures and D&D Encounters seasons. But I've added Murder in Baldur's Gate, just because. ;)

Cheers!

JeffB

Legend
I ran some of the early Goodman modules...mountain king, sea drake, as well as the intro adventure in the FRCG, and used some material from Open Grave. I also ran a homebrew Haunted Mansion.

But I have to say, probably the best sessions in the past 2 years with "the kids group" ( my 13 yo and some of his peers) hae been Cairn of the Winter King. It reads like crap, but with some tweaking/improv the roleplay session at the beginning was awesome, the combats fast and fun,.and the only Skill Challenge I have ever bothered with (the sky ship jpurney) turned out to be a blast. The adventure has proven quite challenging for players an dthe characters. It did not help that they gave the foozle to the bad guy at the initial Cairn encounter, lol.

FWIW,We have played PFBB up to level.5 using paizo adventures, I have run several one shots of c&c, and 3.5, and we have had a l OD&D/s&W game going the majority of those 2 years. Only a few of the OD&D sessions have measured up to Cairn.

None. Rather than Keep on the Shadowfell *, as the crow flies my appreciation of the edition can be traced to the entry-point of an understanding of, appreciation for, and experience with indie mechanics and theory onwards to 20 + years of GMing a variety of games on the fly sans modules or APs (thus understanding the difficulty therein). I suppose lack of exposure to * accounts for the rest of my ringing endorsement of the edition.

Lindeloef

First Post
I played (as a DM) Keep on the Shadowfell, HS2 Orcs of Stonefang Pass, Reavers of Harkenwold and an highly modifed Cairn of the Winter King (basically I just used the Monster Stats and the Maps).
I also played Slaying Stone as a Player. Though we kinda did a speed run through it, cause the DM had never DMed before and couldn't really react to the bullsh*t stuff we players came up with (which ended in a TPK in the final encounter ^^)

I really enjoyed the first half of KotS with my group. Winterhaven became a second home to them. Second half I would run differently today (stripping down the amount of combat).
OoSP is also fun, but again, too much combat in a row going on there.
RoH was the best of them in my opinion. Lots of chance to Roleplay in between fights (only 2-3 Encounters in a row and then you can get back to a town)

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I've run H1 twice (for two different groups that were running concurrently) and H2. I stole ideas and names from H3, but I didn't really run it. I dislike Keep on the Shadowfell, IMHO it was a rather poor adventure. H2 was better and my group got a lot of fun from interacting with all the NPCs at the 7 Pillar Hall (IIRC the name).

Ajar

Explorer
I haven't run any of the official published adventures. I pilfered liberally from Dungeon adventures for an ad-hoc game that I ran, particularly Chaos Scar stuff, but that's it. I've run a fair bit of 3PP stuff, though, including part of Shadows of Mirahan, the first 1.5 adventures of WotBS, and my ongoing Zeitgeist game.

In my girlfriend's game, we're nearing the end of Tomb of Horrors (not the conversion, the mega-adventure). Prior to that she had also been running almost entirely Dungeon stuff, plus some invented stuff.

Serendipity

Explorer
I got a decent mini-campaign out of the Hammerfast book, liberally tossing in large parts of the Sunless Citadel and bits from the Forge of Fury. Pity it ended so soon.

pemerton

Legend
I ticked "yes" to H2, P2, E1 and FR1.

With H2 I did end up using most of the maps and many of the encounters, though not in the sequence or quite in the fashion intended by the module - and by the time my PCs entered Paldemar's norker-guarded tower (which in my campaign was on the Elemental Chaos) I was levelling up the Norker's to MM2 (or 3?) paragon levels, and Paldemar himself was dead, already killed by the PCs.

With P2 I levellled up the whole thing to low epic, and skipped the Deadhold stuff - the PCs went from Lareen's house to the pocket plane to the pyramid.

With E1 and FR1 I've used only bits and pieces of individual encounters, often moving stuff around (eg from memory FR1 has a nice flooding room trap with crappy monsters - I moved the solo vampire into it, which was much more interesting!).

Remove ads