D&D 5E Which 5e innovations do you like the most?

FireLance

Legend
For me, I would say:

1. The concept of Hit Dice (more granular healing surges);
2. The Fighter's Expertise Dice (nice way to add variation and flexibility to a fighter's attacks); and
3. The bonuses a Sorcerer gets from expending Willpower (good way to extend the adventuring day).

What are yours?

CasvalRemDeikun

Adventurer
Combat Superiority and its build-your-at-will basic attack.

What would be even cooler is if the dice "exploded" when you rolled max. Perhaps that could be a later ability.

slobster

Hero
Flattening accuracy and defenses. You can argue how much that is an "innovation", but it's something I quite like so far.

I liked the idea of increasing the importance of ability scores, and decoupling skills from particular ability scores. I'm unsure about the future of that particular idea.

It's not any one new thing, but I like that sorcerers, wizards, and warlocks are noticeably different. I hope rangers, paladins, fighters, and the like get the same treatment.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
1. Can't really pick between (dis)advantage or specialties. Call them 1A and 1B so far.

2. Hit Die for healing.

3. Clerics switching to spontaneous casting.

Combat superiority will probably move up the list once refined, but right now I'm reserving opinion.

Edit: The thing I like the most is the flatter math, but I don't consider that an innovation. I consider that a long-delayed return to common sense! :D

Last edited:

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Not a complete list, but some of the things I most like about 5e so far:

- Bounded Accuracy and Flatter Math

- Ability score saving throws and the greater emphasis on ability scores in general.

- Advantage/Disadvantage (though I would like to see an optional rule that allows multiple instances of them to stack, for example: each instance of advantage beyond the first gives a +2 on your roll, the opposite for disadvantage).

- Backgrounds.

- Skills being tied to backgrounds instead of class (except for the bonus skill granted by some classes, which is fine).

- Combat Superiority for Fighters.

- At-will basic spells (not a 5e innovation, but I love it anyway).

- The option to cast many spells as rituals without preparation. My wizard is going to LOVE this. I just hope the cost of high level rituals doesn't get out of hand, like in 4e.

Yora

Legend
Slow/non-growing attack bonus and save.

My biggest problem with d20 games is, that you have to wait for a certain level before you can play some kinds of adventure, at which point you no longer can play other kinds.

This solves that quite well.

Advilaar

Explorer
Specialties/Backgrounds

No more picking through long, exhautive list of feats which without tons of study, you would not know what to pick. Now, just what goes with story.

Hope it stays that way and long lists of feats from the 3e/4e era die in a fire!

Disadvange/Advantage stolen from certain 4e abilities is genius.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases