Which acrylic paints do you recommend?

Shin Okada

Explorer
I used to be using GW's Citadel Color for painting minis. But that was when they still have, say, Goblin Green, Scorched Brown and such. Then I have almost stopped painting minis for years. When I started to paint minis again, my old paints were already dried and ruined, and Citadel Colors were largely changed. So I started to use acrylic pigments instead (Turner Acryl Gouache).

While those pigments are good, I also interested in using various acrylic pigments designed for painting tabletop minis. Say, newer Citadel paint, Vallejo Game Color, Reaper's Master Paints, Coat d'Arms, Army Painter and such.

Which paint line do you recommend? What is/was your impression on those paint lines?

vongarr

First Post
These brands you mentioned are all very good. I use three interchangeably--GW, Reaper, and Vallejo. I use previous copyright name GW with post copyright name GW. Vallejo gets grief for separating, but this paint also lasts for a very long time. I have some that I still use that I bought in 2004. Reaper doesn't seem to have the same issue of separation, but lasts just as long.

The GW stuff obviously dries out quicker than other brands. If I could start all over? I'd probably buy reaper. GW makes very good washes, but so does everyone else, now. Sorry for not being more specific, but I'd say just get whatever colors look good and are convenient for you/good deals. I use all of mine together, and have never thought that one is superior to the other.

MonsterMash

First Post
I mainly use Vallejo as I am able to get them at a good price and they are pretty reliable after putting in a lot of shaking to get them properly mixed.

Hastati

Explorer
I use all of the lines you mention as well as Foundry paints and they are all good quality. In general, I don't use many GW paints because they tend to dry out very quickly. I have hundreds of paints and don't see myself ever using just one brand.

tomBitonti

Adventurer
any paints from say a michaels store. I'm looking to paint plastic figures such as zombicide and small plastic terrain pieces

I've used these as well. The price (per unit) seems better, and the pigment quality high, but they are too thick for out of the pot use, and aren't matched for value or saturation, or for transparency. I'm imagining a very different painting experience than for using the pre-balanced paint lines.

Thx!
TomB

houser2112

Explorer
About 30 years ago, I was really into plastic models of military vehicles and men. A family friend who was big into competitive modeling got me started on using Tamiya acrylics, and I've sworn by them ever since. I've used them to paint plastic and metal, they blend well, and they last forever. I still have some pots from way back when that are still good.

pogre

Legend
I used to be using GW's Citadel Color for painting minis. But that was when they still have, say, Goblin Green, Scorched Brown and such.

If you like the old Citadel/GW line of paints the Vallejo Game Color line is matched to those old colors.

I use a ton of different brands. To add what others have suggested I like the Army Painter line, Andrea Color, and the Scale 75 Scale Color line. There are a bunch of quality paint lines these days.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I use Vallejo model color nearly exclusively though I mostly paint historical these days so it works well, but they have every color you need. Though for inks and washes I use Army Painter quickshades. Reaper is good though as well.

Quickleaf

Legend
I used to be using GW's Citadel Color for painting minis. But that was when they still have, say, Goblin Green, Scorched Brown and such. Then I have almost stopped painting minis for years. When I started to paint minis again, my old paints were already dried and ruined, and Citadel Colors were largely changed. So I started to use acrylic pigments instead (Turner Acryl Gouache).

While those pigments are good, I also interested in using various acrylic pigments designed for painting tabletop minis. Say, newer Citadel paint, Vallejo Game Color, Reaper's Master Paints, Coat d'Arms, Army Painter and such.

Which paint line do you recommend? What is/was your impression on those paint lines?

I've been out of painting hobby for a long time, and have been enjoying getting back into it with Army Painter. Here's my latest mini with Army Painter acrylics (plastic from D&D boardgame, paint-on primed black)...

6qtw8t0.jpg

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases