Which adventure was your first? Ever itch to play/DM it again?

ilgatto

How inconvenient
(...) Favorite "canned module" to play: I can't remember the title. It was in White Dwarf; the thing I remember was the need to get a big medal disc at the bottom of a deep pool out of the way so we could go down the shaft it covered.

Now I'm very curious. Do you remember what year this was?

My first adventure as a player was B1, In Search of the Unknown, in the Holmes Basic box with chits instead of dice. My dad ran the game for my brother and me. I don't remember what characters we played, though I think one of us was a magic user. At least one PC was killed by a skeleton. After that first session, my father decided that it was too much work, and turned it all over to us. Thus B1 was also the first adventure I ran as a DM for my brother and some other friends. At the time, we didn't have any experienced mentors, so we thought the map should be out on the table for everyone to see. I distinctly recall whenever the PCs passed a secret door, they would keep rolling until someone (usually the elf) spotted it.

I would enjoy running or playing B1 again. At least for a while. Most of the folks I game with don't have much patience for large dungeon maps like this anymore.

ilgatto

How inconvenient
1982 or 83, I think.
Could it have been The Lair of Maldred the Mighty in WD#24?

Room 27?

maldred.png

Yora

Legend
I think the first thing I ran was a little adventure about an enchanted ettin that was bundled with the German release of the D&D 3rd edition PHB. Don't remember anything else about it and I think it was no good.

The first big thing I ran was the Randal Morn trilogy for Forgotten Realms. If one day, I would want to run an OSRIC or OSE campaign in the Dales again, I might try to hunt those adventures down to see how much of them is salvageable. The general idea of the lord of Daggerdale trying to kick out the Zhentarim who have taken over his town is not a bad one, but I believe there wasn't anything interesting about the execution.

Crikey
-First RPG was late 1980, it wasn't DND, but not sure what dragonquest adventure it was ( may have been homebrew).
-First ad&d may have been U1 or N1.
-First Basic would have been the one in the box set.

Could it have been The Lair of Maldred the Mighty in WD#24? Room 27?
That's it. We used Reduce on the plug, which worked fine. The scenario says that it assumes you'll use Passwall or Rock to Mud, both of which are far too high level for the recommended character levels. The DM felt it was ironic we'd used a first level spell, and not spent hours bailing the water out of the pool.

Apart from that, it was memorable for the play of a newbie, whose fighter kept charging ahead of the rest of the party. He survived, but his wisdom was reduced by popular demand.

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
B2 was the first printed adventure I ran. I've run it a few times over the years, and its been interesting. "Bree-yark" has been the doom of many a player.

I think the first adventure I played in (instead of DMing) was B3 - Palace of the Silver Princess. I remember it being confounding at times, but generally pretty fun overall. I'd definitively be willing to play in it - or run it again.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I too could not save Aleena, curse you Bargle
then I cant remember if it was The Village of Hommlet, (but not the TempleoEE) or Keep on the Borderland

loved Isle of Dread

then started homebrewing and doing my own

Remove ads