• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which Animals would you like to see in a PDF?

Which Animals would you like to see in a PDF?

• African Animals

Votes: 16 18.4%
  • Australian Animals

Votes: 12 13.8%
  • Asian Animals

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • European Animals

Votes: 13 14.9%
  • Ocean Animals

Votes: 11 12.6%
  • Fantasy Animals

Votes: 24 27.6%

John Pope

First Post
Farm Animals!

Hey, Planar Animals, I'd like that. I'm always up for different planes! (Well, that and draconic stuff. But with Draconomicon, I'm not sure how far that would go.)

Farm Animals would be useful, and so would City Animals. "A Half-Dragon, Half-Goat giant has attacked the city, and now only the wizard with the big spellbook can defeat it!" Okay, dumb, but who knows what you can do with that kind of stuff. Many things, probably. Battles on farms, in sewers, even dire forms of common animals or more variants.

Your call, though. John.

cleavthorn

Explorer
I'm thinking on that seriously, JP.

I have another question for anyone thats interested.

Do you want to see new (IMHO more accurate) versions of Animals in the MM?

For example, I would like to throw either my version of a grizzly or a wolverine in AA4: North American Animals. If I did do this as standard practice, it would only be 1 or 2 animals, the rest would be all-new animals I've never seen in a d20 product.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
cleavthorn said:
However, I can't imagine I would want a pet dimetrodon, no matter how tame or docile one said it might be next to a T. Rex. :)
Every time I pass one in World of Warcraft, I die a little inside because my hunter can't tame it. :(

OaxacanWarrior

First Post
cleavthorn said:
I'm thinking on that seriously, JP.

I have another question for anyone thats interested.

Do you want to see new (IMHO more accurate) versions of Animals in the MM?

For example, I would like to throw either my version of a grizzly or a wolverine in AA4: North American Animals. If I did do this as standard practice, it would only be 1 or 2 animals, the rest would be all-new animals I've never seen in a d20 product.

Yes, I would like to see that in addition to all the new animals. I'd also love to see some of the bigger African animals statted out more like the rhinos, hippos, etc.

John Pope

First Post
Hey, whatever you say, cleavthorn, but I do think we need more, ah, ordinary animals. Sometimes, D&D campaigns need a little mundane to balance out the fantastic. But that's just my opinion. John.

Cyberzombie

Explorer
John Pope said:
Hey, whatever you say, cleavthorn, but I do think we need more, ah, ordinary animals. Sometimes, D&D campaigns need a little mundane to balance out the fantastic. But that's just my opinion. John.
What we need is lots more 'normal' animals, especially herbivores. If you don't think herbivores can make nasty enemies, watch some footage of enraged hippopatimi. Gah! Those suckers are SCARY when they're mad. Not to mention they have a mouth bigger than the trunk of almost any car...

cleavthorn

Explorer
Hippos, in fact, kill more people every year in Africa than lions and many other animals combined. Yeah...hippos are mean, tough, and did I mention mean?.

They're extremely territorial, and they may even attack outsider hippos (hmmm..outsider hippos...)*stashes away for future refrence*

I'll definatley take suggestions for North American Animals. I need 10! I have a list, but I would love to see what the people who are interested in it want! I am open to ideas.

cleavthorn

Explorer

I agree. I do have some smaller animals in both AA1 and AA2, JP.

For example, in AA2: South American Animals, I have a golden lion tamarin. Just a little, harmless monkey. And in AA1: North American Prehistoric animals, I have a Green River Wader, a waterfowl that died out a looong time ago.

I try to put a variety in my AA series.

As a matter of fact. Heres an innofensive creature I wrote up but may not have made it into an AA. Enjoy!

TORTOISE, GIANT
Testudo atlas
Large Animal (reptile)
Hit Dice: 4d8+12 (30 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares)
AC: 19 (24*) (-1 size, +10 natural), touch 9 (9), flat-footed 19 (24)
Base Attack/Grapple: -2/+6
Attack: Bite +2** melee (1d6+3)
Full attack: Bite +2** melee (1d6+3)
Face/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: -
Special Qualities: DR 2/-, Low-light vision, Shell
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +1, Will +2
Abilities: Str 19, Dex 10, Con 17, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 5
Skills: Listen +5, Spot +4
Feats: Endurance, Great Fortitude
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: solitary or pack (2-6)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: none
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 5-8 HD (Large)

Giant tortoises are great-shelled creatures 8 ft. long and weighing up to 4 tons (8,000 lbs.). They are completely inoffensive creatures, and are vegetarians.

COMBAT
Giant tortoises do not engage in combat. They simply rely on their damage reduction and high AC to protect them. If danger approaches, they simply retreat into their shells and wait for it to pass, as most creatures cannot penetrate their shell and only the mightiest could turn them over.

Low-light Vision (Ex): A giant tortoise can see in conditions of lowered light as well as a human can in daylight.
Shell (Ex): *As a move action, A giant tortoise can retract it's head, legs and tail into its shell. Its speed drops to 0 (cannot move), but gains +5 to its Armor Class (this stacks with its natural armor bonus).

** A giant tortoises attack is considered a secondary attack and adds only 1/2 the tortoise's Strength modifier.

By Jesse Mohn 2005. This text is designated open content in accordance with the OGL.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads