D&D 5E Which characters are the DPR (damage per round) leaders at your table(s)?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Also, I was counting indirect damage the PC is responsible for. If we count all available spells and caster abilities, we need to do the same for the other classes as well. Therefore, When I once per short rest redirect damage using the cloud rune, that counts. Not only in preventing damage from an ally, but inflicting it to an enemy. So when that gnome mindflayer made an attack roll inflicting 58 points of damage to the monk, and I redirected it to their buddy mind flayer, that should count towards my overall damage output. IMO anyway.

I certainly think it counts: an ability you used caused the enemy to take damage, therefore counts as your damage - keeps it simple.

Certainly interesting to have an ability that gets stronger the stronger an enemy attack is!

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
1) Wizard, 2) Rogue

I keep waiting for the Paladin to dish out the most damage but nobody in our campaigns seems to play them as damage focused in all these years so what yah gonna do? I guess that means I should play one soon :)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
You get crapped on for "white room theorizing" or people telling you you're a dirty filthy optimizer without telling you you're a dirty filthy optimizer one too many times, and it starts to get under one's skin.

Consider how you might feel if someone asked about what people look for when playing old systems and the 15th post was someone giving an answer, but appending at the end, "Of course, the real motive is usually nostalgia alone."
You're a dirty filthy optimizer ER!
Well no. Really you're a pretty clean and spotless optimizer ER.
I bet you smell nice too.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Currently it is the swashbuckling rogue. It’s very rare when she does not get a sneak attack on her turn. That may change once the party hits 5th level, when both casters and Fighter types get a significant bump.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
In one game I am running the rogue is the damage per round lead, with the barbarian not far behind them. The warlock/sorcerer is moderate in terms of damage, the bard the furthest behind. Early Tier 2.

In another I am running, the archer ranger was the damage leader by a good amount. The rogue and paladin were the next, followed by the cleric, then followed by moon druid and wizard and lastly by bard. (I mention "was" because the ranger and wizard players bought a house out of state and were replaced by the rogue and the cleric.) High tier 2.

In a game I play, the rogue is the damage leader, followed by the cleric and paladin followed by the wizard. However we just had a barbarian join us and only one combat so far who is also way up in the damage - need more time to see if it was just good rolling or what we should expect on a recurring basis.

A caster who can do more than just do damage shouldn't be able to do as much as characters who can only do damage. If they do as much damage plus can do more, that's imbalanced compared to damage-only classes. Yes, using a limited resource can provide a single action damage more than a repeatable at-will, but that doesn't mean that over the course of an adventuring day they keep up.

However, many DMs bias towards casters by doing things such as running too few encounters per day. Casters that don't use up all of their slots, or just use up their slots and have little need for cantrips are getting an advantage from the DM.

Oofta

Legend
You get crapped on for "white room theorizing" or people telling you you're a dirty filthy optimizer without telling you you're a dirty filthy optimizer one too many times, and it starts to get under one's skin.

Consider how you might feel if someone asked about what people look for when playing old systems and the 15th post was someone giving an answer, but appending at the end, "Of course, the real motive is usually nostalgia alone."
Have you contributed anything other than crapping on my posts in this thread? Was I telling anyone they were wrong? No? I included an off-topic comment that I felt was relevant. It was in addition to other thoughts and experience on DPR. Looks to me like you're just looking for an excuse to nag.

In any case, I'm done having this particular conversation. Bye-bye!

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Have you contributed anything other than crapping on my posts in this thread? Was I telling anyone they were wrong? No? I included an off-topic comment that I felt was relevant. It was in addition to other thoughts and experience on DPR. Looks to me like you're just looking for an excuse to nag.

In any case, I'm done having this particular conversation. Bye-bye!
Why, yes, I did. I specifically mentioned what tracking I had done in two previous campaigns I'd done (to be clear, as a player; I haven't run 5e and don't really feel inclined to). One was near the tail end of the public playtest, so the tracking was an overt effort to do that very playtesting. The other was a few years later, on a lark. I also mentioned what patterns I observed in those cases. Despite the release, I didn't notice many changes between the late public playtest and the official release.

Also, I was counting indirect damage the PC is responsible for. If we count all available spells and caster abilities, we need to do the same for the other classes as well. Therefore, When I once per short rest redirect damage using the cloud rune, that counts. Not only in preventing damage from an ally, but inflicting it to an enemy. So when that gnome mindflayer made an attack roll inflicting 58 points of damage to the monk, and I redirected it to their buddy mind flayer, that should count towards my overall damage output. IMO anyway.
You are quite right on that good sir! Damage is damage, whatever the source. And the sweetest of damage is the one the enemy do to its allies. If your own allies are spared in the process, I would even count that as healing too! A double win!

85% of combats its the party rogue. Next most is probably the sorcerer, sometimes someone else. But never the ranger.

Party is 14th level. Composition; rogue, fighter/wizard, cleric, bard, sorcerer, ranger

Mort

Legend
Supporter
85% of combats its the party rogue. Next most is probably the sorcerer, sometimes someone else. But never the ranger.

Party is 14th level. Composition; rogue, fighter/wizard, cleric, bard, sorcerer, ranger

What type of ranger, If I may ask. I've seen gloomstalker rangers really stack on the damage, but not much experience with the other subclasses.

Remove ads