• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Which classes will you play first?

Which class will you play?

• Barbarian Beserker

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • Barbarian Totem Warrior

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • Bard of the College of Lore

Votes: 13 5.4%
  • Bard of the College of Valor

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Cleric of Death (will be in the DMG)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Cleric of Knowledge

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Cleric of Life

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Cleric of Light

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Cleric of Nature

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cleric of Tempest

• Cleric of Trickery

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Cleric of War

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Druid of the Circle of the Land

• Druid of the Circle of the Moon

• Fighter - Champion

• Fighter - Battle Master

• Fighter- Eldritch Knight

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • Monk of the Way of the Open Hand

• Monk of the Way of the Shadow

• Monk of the Way of the Four Elements

• Paladin sworn to the Oath of Devotion

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • Paladin sworn to the Oath of the Ancients

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • Paladin sworn to the Oath of Vengeance

Votes: 13 5.4%
  • Ranger - Hunter

• Ranger - Beast Master

• Rogue - Thief

• Rogue - Assassin

• Rogue - Arcane Trickster

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Sorcerer of a Draconic Bloodline

• Sorcerer of Wild Magic

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Warlock with an Archfey patron

• Warlock with a Fiend patron

• Warlock with a Great Old One patron

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Warlock with a pact of the Chain

• Warlock with a pact of the Blade

Votes: 16 6.7%
  • Warlock with a pact of the Tome

• Wizard of the School of Abjuration

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Wizard of the School of Conjuration

• Wizard of the School of Divination

• Wizard of the School of Enchantment

• Wizard of the School of Evocation

• Wizard of the School of Illusion

• Wizard of the School of Necromancy

• Wizard of the School of Transmutation

• Undecided

• I plan to DM

Votes: 79 33.1%
  • Not playing or running 5e, but polls are nifty

Votes: 18 7.5%

• Poll closed .

Gargoyle

Adventurer
I'm in the same boat. Signed up for several 5e sessions, and I'll likely get to play more at GenCon than I have on the last several years! Love to DM, but it will be great on the other side of the screen!

I am jealous. Been years since I've been to GenCon. If I were going to play, it would be a wizard, maybe a transmuter.

Pillsy

First Post
I've been wanting to play an illusionist for a while, and the chunky 5E arcane schools make it particularly appealing now. I also kinda want to play a thief or assassin.

Atlatl Jones

Explorer
I'm playing a play test version of an Evoker/Cleric, and we'll probably convert it to the final version of the game soon so that'll probably be the first one I play.

I really want to try out an Arcane Trickster or a shadow Monk, so one of those will be the first brand new 5e character I play.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
Some observations:

It's a small sample size, because as folks have pointed out, not a lot of people have access to the PHB yet. So some of this can be taken with a grain of salt. I'll recreate the poll after it closes.

Wizards are looking popular with 13 votes. It's interesting that they are spread out among most of the schools, suggesting that the schools are mostly well thought out.

Paladins are also looking popular with 12 votes, and all Oaths are well represented.

Warlocks got 11 votes, with all the patrons and pacts represented, although the Fiend patron and Chain pact didn't get as many.

Fighters got 10 votes, with no one voting for Champion. I think Champion will appeal primarily to the Basic edition players. Interesting to see so many votes for Eldritch Knight.

Bards got 8 votes, quite a lot IMO.

Barbarians, Monks, and Rogues got 6. I was surprised to see Assassin getting none, although at least one person mentioned interest in it.

Sorcerers got 4. This doesn't surprise me, their write up sort of left me cold.

Clerics also got 4 responses. It's very telling that one of the more useful, and possibly powerful classes is one of the least popular.

Druids got 3 votes, all for Order of the Moon.

Zero votes for the ranger. Neither archetype has received a single vote so far out of 66 responses. That's surprising, but I have to admit, the ranger was the least interesting of all the classes to me. IMO it's because a spellcasting ranger just wasn't a popular design choice. Threads like this one also suggest that the class is underpowered, at least on paper, but I doubt that's why it might be unpopular. I think it's just that this isn't a good representation of the archetype that people want.

That sort of logic maps well to my opinion of the other classes. The more popular ones have abilities that do seem to map well to the tropes and archetypes that are popular in fantasy.

Fully 1/3 of the responses so far are from DM's, not a surprise as ENworld is a fantastic resource for DM's.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
. . . It's a small sample size, because as folks have pointed out, not a lot of people have access to the PHB yet. So some of this can be taken with a grain of salt. I'll recreate the poll after it closes. . . .

Yes, I have been following this thread daily, but didn't vote because I don't have the PHB yet. (I do have it on order, so there's that.)

I drove 40+ miles each way to another city on Friday, because the Store finder at wizards.com said there was a WPN store that actually hosts D&D Encounters! (Nothing around here does. . . .)

Yeah, no such luck: I found the place I was looking for, and it is nice, but it's a proverbial hole-in-the-wall located in a tiny building directly opposite the local Fred Meyer (think "Kroger's") shopping center there. They had lots of 4E stuff in stock. I have a copy of each of the ones they had that I wanted, so I didn't buy anything: I just looked at what they had; decided they weren't carrying 5E early; and left.

Waste of a 1/4 tank of gasoline, right? At least I had a nice drive in the country. . . .

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
First choice - cleric of tempest. I've always liked clerics, and i'm all about THOR LAYIN' DOWN THE HAMMER, BABY!

2nd choice - fighter/rogue multi, to try an recreate a favored Pathfinder character of mine.

I'm looking forward to a Fey Warlock / Oath of the Ancients Paladin combo, of a neutral good alignment as it's something you couldn't create before...

Even though I've constantly decried the Diviner as not being very player appealing in the past editions, I feel like I could give it a try with a Diviner / Arcane Trickster combo, some sort of seeker of secrets.

Remove ads