Which cows are most Sacred

What sacred cows are most important to D&D?

• The use of Character Classes

Votes: 96 54.2%
  • The use of Dragons as monsters

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Hit points instead of a Wound / Condition track

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • The presence of Dungeons

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • the 3-18 stat set (based on the orginal 3d6

Votes: 13 7.3%
  • The use of d20's for Attacks and Saves

Votes: 17 9.6%
  • Humans, Elves, and Dwarves

Votes: 13 7.3%

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I've given this some thought and the one sacred cow whose death would lead to D&D not being D&D anymore would be character classes. You can have dragons and dungeon crawls in any other gaming system. You can abalate away health in many other gaming systems.

But if D&D didn't have classes, in which characters advance along a certain set of power tracks based on their classes and PC groups are encouraged by the nature of the game to include diversity among the PCs to be able to deal with certain kinds of obstacles, it loses its distinction from a more generic system like GURPS or Hero.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Classes, because classes + levels are the primary gloss that makes D&D simple enough to balance and manage expectations.

Cheers, -- N

Classes, definitely. To be frank, I thought this new edition would do away with the old 3-18 scores and keep the modifiers as the attributes themselves -- it's the sensible thing to do to do away with the "odd attribute" problem. Although, now that it's been announced, I feel that they'd have dropped some hints if they were going in that direction.

Well, perhaps they felt it was too bold a move? Let's see what happens in 5e, then ;)

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
Malhost Zormaeril said:
To be frank, I thought this new edition would do away with the old 3-18 scores and keep the modifiers as the attributes themselves
Personally, I'm hoping they'll do the opposite -- keep the 3-18 scores and get rid of the modifiers.

Anyway, we don't need two values for each ability... and 3-18 is certainly something I want to keep.

DM to newbie: What's your character's Strength?
Newbie: Let's see... 15... +2... It's 17.
DM: Let me explain this again...

Aust Diamondew

First Post
The presence of dungeons. The occaisonal dungeon crawl should be fundamental to any d&d game. I don't use dungeon crawls in every adventure my self when I DM, but once every few levels I have a good old fashion dungeon crawl.

A lot of other things in the poll are mechanical things, things that happen outside of the game world. D&D is an ideal that goes beyond the rules.
At its core its about slugging your way through room after room in a dungeon, till you meet the dragon in the middle, slaying it and taking all its loot.

PS I'm glad its not a multi choice poll, I like having to make a definitive decision about what I value most.

Last edited:

Remove ads