• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which CRPG has the best STORY? (Forked from: Do you not play WoW?)

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
PS:T is amazing. Buy it now.

That is the only review you need.

I also enjoyed Shadow of the Colossus (PS2), but that's almost me saying I enjoyed it for its LACK of definitive story, and more its ability to create a history/mood/story very subtly.

I also liked Septerra Core A LOT. Slightly more than the Fallout Series in terms of story.

resistor

First Post
Woah! Someone quoted me!

I don't know that I could pick just one. I like a lot of the ones that other people have already mentioned (Fallout 1&2, Planescape: Torment). To name a few I liked that others haven't:

Some Favorites:
Chrono Trigger (Best console RPG EVER. Not nearly enough people have played this one.)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (the first one, the second wasn't as good)

I recently played Mass Effect (good, but not great), Fallout 3 (not bad, but ultimately limited and disappointing compared to the originals), and I'm working on The Witcher (GOOD!).

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Mallus and everyone else is right! It's really not even a contest.
Wow. In my head, I thought this was a great idea for a discussion thread...but it seems like Planescape: Torment is a rock star in this department. I've just placed an order for it (thank you Amazon), and it will be here in a few days. I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl.

In the "best story ever" department, though, I remain skeptical. FF6 is going to be hard to beat. Not to mention all of the others on my List of Awesome.

And I know it's an unfair bias, but I have been burned before by the D&D-brand CRPGs. Remember Ravenloft: Stone Prophet? Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager? Freakin' Menzoberranzan? After that last one, I swore never to buy another D&D computer game.

Chrono Trigger (Best console RPG EVER. Not nearly enough people have played this one.)
I love this game! It barely left my SNES deck back when I was at Oklahoma State.

Last edited:

Darkwolf71

First Post
Explaining: FFVII use to be "the best" for most people who started at 7 and never played VI. I would vote FFVI before playing PS:T. It's another level of gaming.

I have a working theory that everyone's favorite FF game coincides with their first FF game. For me, there is no question that FFVI is the best. I still play through it once evry 18 months or so.

Best story (C)omputerRPG because they really are different up to recent years. It's been so long since I played PS:T that I can't really say it's 'the best' but I remember enjoying it. I think the Fallout series as a whole is really up there, even if the newest is kinda lacking. (Not that it's bad, I love it.)

Jack99

Adventurer
And I know it's an unfair bias, but I have been burned before by the D&D-brand CRPGs. Remember Ravenloft: Stone Prophet? Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager? Freakin' Menzoberranzan? After that last one, I swore never to buy another D&D computer game.

When I said "no contest" I obviously meant IMO. But PS:T is in a league of it's own when it comes to D&D computer games, that's for sure. Now, if you look at other games, you can of course find others that are really good. I just haven't had the luck of finding anything with as good a story.

Remove ads