• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which CRPG has the best STORY? (Forked from: Do you not play WoW?)

Pants

First Post
PS: Torment is very good. I'm really surprised no one has mentioned ES3: Morrowind. The main story was really good, the sub-plots were generally pretty well thought out and involved, and the game world as a whole was incredibly well developed. The 1000+ pages of in-game books alone made for wicked reading. I'd sometimes play just to read the books.
Morrowind put me to sleep. ;)

The thing with Morrowind is... the game world itself is pretty cool, the backstory is interesting, and the setting is inscrutably alien, but the gameplay and the actual story, bore me to tears.

Planescape: Torment has probably the best 'story,' though Baldur's Gate II is most likely the better 'game.'

Mass Effect has a great, cinematic story, if only because it's one of the few games where playing an evil douche doesn't (always) translate into being a dick to everyone.

Chrono Trigger is a lot of fun. Probably one of the best j-rpgs of all time with a great story to boot.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I will toss in my vote for Planescape: torment as well.

I would also like to note however, that Final Fantasy Tactics has a better story than the FF games with numerals on the end of their name.

Miyaa

First Post
Morrowind was alright. Oblivion is a little better. Mass Effect was interesting until you get to the romantic part with the alien, then it's like, well, this.

I had a problem with Neverwinter Night 2 because the game's bugs got into the way, but I generally loved the NWN series more because of all the mods you could do with it instead of the game that was in it, but the storylines in the original were pretty good.

Dark Messiah: Might and Magic was pretty good, but it's not something that you wouldn't see the twists and turns coming.

Finally, no love for Balder's Gate?

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
PS: T gets my vote story wise. Glad to see it isn't just me. :)

Arcanum gets my second. I agree w/ the Prof. about its bugs, but even still I play it once a year or so. Drog's patches from terra-arcanum.com fix a lot of them.

Metus

First Post
Planescape: Torment is coming out on top, like usual. I love the game and recommend it to all my friends. That being said, I prefer Baldur's Gate II.

Planescape: Torment has probably the best 'story,' though Baldur's Gate II is most likely the better 'game.'

It's a bit of that, but Baldur's Gate II felt more alive to me. It felt like it had a richer, larger world, more characters and more options. I remember in P:T making the Nameless One a mage, and it didn't feel like it had any real impact. In Baldur's Gate II, I had a necromancer who owned his own planar sphere and had apprentices making goodies.

So, Baldur's Gate II for me.

I'm a huge gamer and have played practically every game mentioned in this thread. I will say that Suikoden II was pretty good as well, and I have fond memories of it. One thing that really stood out for me was the fact that Suikoden II didn't revolve around saving the world (or the underworld, or a plane, or whatever). It was just city-states engaging in combative politics. Very refreshing, as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, and as an aside, I did like Knights of the Old Republic II more than the first one (although the first one was good too, don't get me wrong) and recommend the sequel.

Hussar

Legend
Y'know, I have PS:T and never could get into it. I think it's because my instruction manual was in Korean (bought it there, even though the game is in English) and I could never really figure out how to level up. Just lost interest in it. Very cool looking though.

For me, the Baldur's Gate series is the best story line.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads