D&D 5E Which D&D books currently scheduled for 2023 are you interested in?

Which D&D books currently scheduled for 2023 are you interested in?

• Keys from the Golden Vault

Votes: 69 36.3%
  • Glory of the Giants

Votes: 81 42.6%
  • The Book of Many Things

Votes: 94 49.5%
  • Phandelver Campaign

Votes: 108 56.8%
  • Planescape

Votes: 120 63.2%

I clicked on Book of Many Things just to have marked in on the poll as there was no "None of the Above" option; should this be a new thread?
  • Keys from the Golden Vault should be up my street as it's heist-themed. But when Dragon Heist had no dragons and no heist and I already have enough adventures and write my own it's not a trivial sell. It comes out in under a month and has limited buzz - and is coming out here in the UK a month late so by the time I can get it it will be old news (which is annoying)
  • Glory of the Giants - don't care.
  • Book of Many Things - might be in line with Xanathar's/Tasha's in which case I'm interested. But the Deck is one of the more campaign breaking artifacts out there. With luck it will be all the most interesting stuff that some will dislike so they'd never put in a core book but think it should be some, produced just before the next edition
  • Phandelver Campaign - it's a setting and offering me little that I've seen and Phandelver's never grabbed me.
  • Planescape - three 64 page books in a post-Faction War setting? In the Spelljammer format after that disappointment? I'd rather make Planescape up out of whole cloth. And Planescape wants something beefy; it's an intricate setting.
So that's two maybes at best. WotC could wow me, but I've ducked most of their adventures anyway.
There was quite definitely a dragon in Dragon Heist. But your other comments about it are valid.

And who's to say that Planescape's books will only be 64 pages each? Given that the big complaint about Spelljammer was that the books needed to be longer, and given that they likely have a lot of stuff they want to squeeze into the set, there's every chance that we'll get bigger books in this set.

Loren the GM

Adventurer
Publisher
I'm expressly the target audience - I have bought three copies of every 5e book so far, one physical, one on DND Beyond, and one on Roll20. I normally would purchase all of these books three times. As of now, due to the OGL situation, I have no plans to purchase any new WotC content going forward. If it becomes necessary I will look for second hand physical copies where WotC will receive no proceeds, and will forego the convenience of having them built into the online systems I play through.

So, while interested in all, I can't actually vote for any of them in the current situation. Hence the comment instead of a vote.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Planescape - three 64 page books in a post-Faction War setting? In the Spelljammer format after that disappointment? I'd rather make Planescape up out of whole cloth. And Planescape wants something beefy; it's an intricate setting.
I think, at best, we're going to get something comparable to the original Planescape boxed set. While evocative, it was not super-detailed.

I have to imagine there is an army of Planescape fans at least loosely prepping to bring everything else for Planescape up to 5E via the DMs Guild seconds after the 5E Planescape is published, though.

TheHand

Adventurer
I wonder if the low votes for Golden Vault reflect everyone being burned by Dragon Heist* or the lack of buzz more.

* not a heist.
Well only speaking for myself, but I've hardly heard a peep about Golden Vault, so I have no real clue what's going to be in it. I forgot it was even a thing until this poll.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Well only speaking for myself, but I've hardly heard a peep about Golden Vault, so I have no real clue what's going to be in it. I forgot it was even a thing until this poll.
Yeah, that's probably a combo of it coming out so close to the holidays, since they won't be doing promotion between Christmas and New Years, the OGL issue making it a bad time to promo anything and it possibly being a movie tie-in, meaning that the studio likely has strict rules for when to roll out big info dumps.

Remove ads