D&D 5E Which D&D books currently scheduled for 2023 are you interested in?

Which D&D books currently scheduled for 2023 are you interested in?

• Keys from the Golden Vault

Votes: 69 36.3%
  • Glory of the Giants

Votes: 81 42.6%
  • The Book of Many Things

Votes: 94 49.5%
  • Phandelver Campaign

Votes: 108 56.8%
  • Planescape

Votes: 120 63.2%

Yeah, it really is providing a custom scenario that uses its own mechanics rather than rules that can be used in general. But I could see tweaking it into a set of rules that can be used generally. Perhaps replace inspiration with plot points. On the other hand this could be just trying to fundamentally change D&D into a different type of game.
Prisoner 13 uses "Suspicion levels" for much the same purpose, but it has the same problem: for a specific scenario what is the "right" number of levels? If you are WotC you can playtest the adventure to death, but that's not really viable for homemade adventures to be played exactly once.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm keeping my account to see how it develops, but there isn't much of a use case for me yet.
If I were them, I'd have immediately put someone on "take a look through the SRD on Creative Commons and see how far that can get us toward making a character builder." Given that they're an ORC partner, I'm betting one or more of the new SRDs will be offered through Demiplane before the end of the year.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
If I were them, I'd have immediately put someone on "take a look through the SRD on Creative Commons and see how far that can get us toward making a character builder." Given that they're an ORC partner, I'm betting one or more of the new SRDs will be offered through Demiplane before the end of the year.
Its growing on me. They are building a Pathfinder character manager. It is currently in closed beta, but their pace of development is ambitious and after D&D Beyond seeming static in its development so long, it is kinda exciting to see how quickly Demiplane is developing. It has to be more than a cross-linked web reader for source books and adventures...and it is quickly developing into more than that.

Also, I'm intrigued by their find-a-game platform. Their match making features seem much more polished and sophisticated than other platforms I've used. They do not have many groups yet, but as they build their membership base, this could be a great resource. They also have video-conference system, with in-chat dice roller built into their platform. I think my next step in testing the waters is to find a one-shot to join. preferably one using Demiplanes video-conferencing system.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Prisoner 13 uses "Suspicion levels" for much the same purpose, but it has the same problem: for a specific scenario what is the "right" number of levels? If you are WotC you can playtest the adventure to death, but that's not really viable for homemade adventures to be played exactly once.
I think the suspicion mechanics in Prisoner 13 would port well into any adventure involving subterfuge. Just use the 6 levels and the table with the DC. The main piece missing is the repercussions for an increase in suspicion. In this adventure it is the number of patrols plus some actions that are triggered when you get to level six and the prison is put on high alert.

I don't know how I would make a generic mechanic that would fit all adventures and locations. Perhaps the exisiting 6-level table and DCs plus advice on the kinds of reactions and precautions that might be taken by the NPCs as suspicion level raise are the best approach.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I swear I've seen those suspicion rules somewhere before, thought it was in the oneDnD plates but a quick search didn't find them, maybe it was something to do with dungeon alertness. It's a good rule though, something that can be used to determine if more patrols show up is a useful tool. I can see me using that rule in the future.

Thought I'd give this old poll a bump.
Just curious if the interest levels have gone up or down now that we know a bit more about the upcoming products?
Maybe lowered a bit on the Phandelver campaign. I loathe conventional D&D goblins - they are boring. But then I didn't select is as "interested" in the first place. I bought KftGV and am very pleased with it, it has some really good adventures.

Remove ads