• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Which D&D World Would Make the Best TV Show

Which D&D World Would Make the Best TV Show

• Blackmoor

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 16 13.4%
  • Forgotten Realms

Votes: 24 20.2%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • Planescape

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • The Known World

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Hollow World

• Kara Tur

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Al Qadim

• Eberron

Votes: 53 44.5%
  • Nentir Vale/PoL

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • Gamma World

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • Something I Forgot

Votes: 21 17.6%

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Yeah, I think the way I was reading it when I initially posted was, first, assuming live action like The Witcher or Game of Thrones, and secondly following that, considering the practicality of translation to live action TV within the confines of the resources used to make, at maximum, The Wheel of Time or The Rings of Power.

I could see a live action TV show doing a fairly straightforward adaptation of the Drago Lance Chronicles convincingly with Witcher/Wheel of Time level budgets and resources. With Eberron I would be concerned wither the Setting or the show would suffer from the strain (in live action). Basically, interpreting the "strongest" question I'm terms of how easy it would be to pull off almost as well as how cool it would be if pulled off.
Ok, that makes sense. By that standard I’d probably agree Dragonlance has the best shot. Which was my second-place pick after Eberron with the standard of just, what would make for the best-quality series, setting aside the concerns of medium and budget.

Zardnaar

Legend
Not really. It’s no more than a sci fi show. There are hundreds of hours of sci-fi TV in space. There’s nothing about either that demands constant special effects. It’s magical Star Trek or magical DS9 or magical any number of urban futuristic shows.

They were really expensive back in the day that's kinda the point.
To do a decent Spelljamner or Darksun you're looking at CGI and lots of it.

Cf Shadow and Bone which is mostly costumes and a bit of cgi for magical effects.

Yeah, I think the way I was reading it when I initially posted was, first, assuming live action like The Witcher or Game of Thrones, and secondly following that, considering the practicality of translation to live action TV within the confines of the resources used to make, at maximum, The Wheel of Time or The Rings of Power.

I could see a live action TV show doing a fairly straightforward adaptation of the Drago Lance Chronicles convincingly with Witcher/Wheel of Time level budgets and resources. With Eberron I would be concerned wither the Setting or the show would suffer from the strain (in live action). Basically, interpreting the "strongest" question in terms of how easy it would be to pull off almost as well as how cool it would be if pulled off.
Give it a Disney Star Wars TV budget and Eberron could work

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Not really. It’s no more than a sci fi show. There are hundreds of hours of sci-fi TV in space. There’s nothing about either that demands constant special effects. It’s magical Star Trek or magical DS9 or magical any number of urban futuristic shows.
Yeah, I know...that is what informs my skepticism, compared to the sorts of shows cited in the OP.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Ok, that makes sense. By that standard I’d probably agree Dragonlance has the best shot. Which was my second-place pick after Eberron with the standard of just, what would make for the best-quality series, setting aside the concerns of medium and budget.
In terms of what would be MOST AWESOME to my brain, I'll take Spelljammer. But I would expect any actual live action Spelljammer show to...not meet my expectations.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Give it a Disney Star Wars TV budget and Eberron could work
I cited shows with bigger budgets than Star Wars TV has had on purpose. A Sci-Fi show has short cut options (in terms of props, costumes, etc. using more mundane things like...zippers or plastic) that a High Fantasy Setting like Eberron would not have...in live action. In animation, all bets are off.

I cited shows with bigger budgets than Star Wars TV has had on purpose. A Sci-Fi show has short cut options (in terms of props, costumes, etc. using more mundane things like...zippers or plastic) that a High Fantasy Setting like Eberron would not have...in live action. In animation, all bets are off.
I’m saying the level of SF the achieve in some of the Star Wars TV shows is sufficient to pull off live action Eberron IMO.

Remove ads