• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Which D&D World Would Make the Best TV Show

Which D&D World Would Make the Best TV Show

• Blackmoor

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 16 13.4%
  • Forgotten Realms

Votes: 24 20.2%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • Spelljammer

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • Planescape

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • The Known World

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Hollow World

• Kara Tur

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Al Qadim

• Eberron

Votes: 53 44.5%
  • Nentir Vale/PoL

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • Gamma World

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • Something I Forgot

Votes: 21 17.6%

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I’m saying the level of SF the achieve in some of the Star Wars TV shows is sufficient to pull off live action Eberron IMO.
How do the effects in Star Wars help with the major issues Eberron would face...? The world of Star Wars is much more mundane and achievable with practical effects than the High Fantasy of Eberron could be. And what vig special effects ts there are...are mostly blank techy things.

There is a reason the two biggest budget productions in history are the Rings of Power and The Wheel of Time...both of which are much, much less gonzp and lower magic Settings than Eberron. It just isn't feasible without some massive cutting edge innovation...which I don't see such a project getting.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Eberron is kind of all over the place, as a campaign setting. And I know that is the entire point: Kevin wanted to create a world that could support every possible kind of game theme that players could want: grimdark fantasy, gothic horror, heroic epic, gritty war, magic school, high fantasy, airships and wizards and dragons and robots and vampires and zombie pirate ninjas on dinosaurs...if you could imagine it, there was a place in Eberron that you could place it and it would make sense. It's the key strength of that setting.

Unfortunately, that's precisely why I don't think it would work as a TV show setting. The writers/producers can't capture the entirety of that campaign setting, with all of its different themes and flavors, into a single TV show and still have it resemble Eberron without it getting muddled beyond comprehension. It would be amazing if they could pull it off but it would be a very hard sell to any production studio....that's a lot of stuff to cram into that single pilot episode. Just to get it green-lit they would have to narrow it quite a bit, and that's the opposite of what Eberron is to me.

How do the effects in Star Wars help with the major issues Eberron would face...? The world of Star Wars is much more mundane and achievable with practical effects than the High Fantasy of Eberron could be. And what vig special effects ts there are...are mostly blank techy things.

There is a reason the two biggest budget productions in history are the Rings of Power and The Wheel of Time...both of which are much, much less gonzp and lower magic Settings than Eberron. It just isn't feasible without some massive cutting edge innovation...which I don't see such a project getting.
I think perhaps you haven’t see all the Star Wars tv has had to offer and not considering the possible film noir approach you could take with Eberron.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I’m speaking purely theoretically, not commercially
I'm speaking commercially and practically, myself.
I think perhaps you haven’t see all the Star Wars tv has had to offer and not considering the possible film noir approach you could take with Eberron.
I can imagine theoretical ways to approach Eberron: unfortunately, I think for live action those fall into being either impractical or as @CleverNickName suggests, failing to really get Eberron across properly. Like, sure, you could do an Eberron show far away from any of the zany Dragonmark Houses and various organizations, amd stsyijf away from the Last War and it'saftermsth...but then what would make it an Eberron show?

And, no, I don't consider anything from Star Wars, Star Trek, or any other Sci-Fi property as being promising for a high magic Fantasy Setting. Look how many people complain about how The Rings of Power or The Wheel of Time look, and those have bigger budgets and more reaources than any Star Wars or Stsr Trek...and don't require a fraction of what Wberron done right would.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It's not really a well-developed "setting," but Radiant Citadel could be an neat premise for a TV show. It could play out episodically sort of like Star Trek TOS mashed with DS9, but with fantasy cultures and some nebulous threat lurking in the Ether. Or something.
Yeah, Radiant Citadel has TOS fingerprints all over it. It'd be very easy to do fantasy Star Trek with it.

Remove ads