Which decade would you choose?

ccs

41st lv DM
If you had to be trapped in a decade from the 20th century, and live there, which would you choose? You don’t get to use your future knowledge to your advantage; you have to live the decade as it was but you’re your current age (you don’t get to be younger again!)

And - importantly - why?
Other than my current age & restricted from using future knowledge, are there any other restrictions?
For example;
1) Primarily do I get to start with a clean bill of health?
Because if Me-as-is landed anywhere in the 20th century I'd be dead in short order as the medication for my CLL doesn't exist yet. If I was lucky, had resources, and landed in a western country/Australia/Japan I'd be living in a chemo ward. And then I'd still die.

2) Do I get to pick where I'm living out this decade? Or at least starting from?
3) What resources do I have access to to start with?? The clothes on my back + wits? An average years salary? 3d6x10 starting GP....

But if I've got a clean bill of health & can pick my starting location? Then regardless of my resources start me in the USA, 1900-1990. Exact decade = dealers choice.
Oh, the WHY! Because they're all interesting/challenging & I have a skill set that'll work regardless of the decade.

Last edited:

pming

Legend
Hiya!
f you had to be trapped in a decade from the 20th century, and live there, which would you choose? You don’t get to use your future knowledge to your advantage; you have to live the decade as it was but you’re your current age (you don’t get to be younger again!)

And - importantly - why?
80's...easy. But for a more "invigorating" experience, I might go with the 40's.

80's because that was "my decade" (from 11 to 20). I learned D&D in '81, and it would be GLORIOUS to be able to talk to RPG'ers about their games. Sooo much creativity and positivity of all the "new RPG's coming out" (like Gamma World, Star Frontiers, Gangbusters, RuneQuest Deluxe, Powers & Perils, etc). Oh, and the hair and music! :) Music was AMAZING, and there's just something so... "wholesomely sexy" about the way the fairer sex dressed.

Then again... the 40's had a distinct "style and flair". Men wearing suits and hats, women wearing dresses and hats. Men doing 'manly' stuff... Women doing 'womanly' stuff... And everyone minding their own business; maintaining a "work life" and a "home life"....not blending it all together in some amorphous grey mish-mash of ambiguity. Yeah... "Good old fashioned social, moral and family values". :) Only thing that would suck is all the "implied and expected religiosity" of America/Canada...being a Satanist I don't think I'd be very accepted. But hey, I could totally fake it for a decade just to have some fun in that time period! :)

shrug Probably the 80's. I could invest in certain companies and ventures and be a billionaire when I get back to 2021. :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Sacrosanct

Legend
I could see a little thing called World War II throwing a monkey wrench in the decade.
Even if you ignore WWII and only focus on the US, you still had internment camps, lynchings, Jim Crow laws, zoot suit riots, and husbands who beat their wives and kids with complete impunity. And about a million things women weren’t allowed to do, punishable by law. Forget about being gay, that is a death sentence.

R_J_K75

Legend
Even if you ignore WWII and only focus on the US, you still had internment camps, lynchings, Jim Crow laws, zoot suit riots, and husbands who beat their wives and kids with complete impunity. And about a million things women weren’t allowed to do, punishable by law. Forget about being gay, that is a death sentence.
Thats a pretty long and atrocious list.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
OTOH, hats like fedoras, trilbys, panamas, ivys, newsboys and the like were ubiquitous. And if you’re willing to put up with the absolute lack of hat/coat checks or hooks in public spaces, you can still wear them today.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
The 1920s. Art Deco, jazz, fashion, foxtrot and the general sense that WWI had been so horrible people wanted to live life to the fullest. They wanted to break barriers. Artistic experimentation was ground breaking. In Hollywood. At 55, I would be an accomplished film director.

Zardnaar

Legend
Hard decision. Pre 80s would have sucked closer to WW1 people still thought of themselves as British, Scottish or citizens of the empire.

Nightlife didn't exist pubs had to be closed by 6pm up to1967. Options for everything very limited pre 80's/90's.

Coffee was black or white. Cane and strap were still legal until1986 at school.

90's I suppose. They were bad enough as teenager vs adult.

Screw it ill pick the 1980's. I could go beat up some people who abused some friends and basically get away with it.

Remove ads