D&D 5E Which easier to remember (for you)? (On Saving Throws & Spell Durations)

Which do you find easier to remember?

• Making a save every round

Votes: 34 82.9%
  • A spell having a set duration

Votes: 7 17.1%

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Simple question: 5E moved to having many spells (and effects) allowing a save every round to end the effect, rather than having a set duration. Which is easier to remember to do for you, end the spell after a set # of rounds or for PCs or their opponents to save every round?

I know some people just find it unfun to be potentially effected or taken out of the game by a duration spell and prefer a chance to break the spell every round. But let's leave that aside for now.

I am just asking about the practicality of remembering.

MarkB

Legend
I honestly can't think of a circumstance where this comes up in the current game. Combat spells tend to have a duration of a minute, and hardly any combat goes on for more than 10 rounds so it becomes irrelevant.

Pretty much anything else has longer durations and isn't tracked round by round.

So, since it's not something I usually need to worry about and don't have much practice with, I'd say that the fixed duration would be harder to keep track of.

I find it easier to remember durations and easy to forget start of round/end of round stuff.

But I also think that's the only upside to durations. Save every round means there's no rounds where you don't get to do anything, it adds excitement, and if there are ways to modify the roll it adds new tactical dimensions.

R_J_K75

Legend
Honestly as a DM I have a hard time remembering either regardless if they get a save every round or its a set duration. So as far as Im concerned youre still tracking rounds which is just one more fiddly thing the DM needs to keep track of.

R_J_K75

Legend
This actually goes back to 3e as a nerf (and you had to track rounds, so very 3e).

But yes saves. If its on your character, you have an incentive to remember!
Actually, it goes back to at least 2E as I recall, and was even worse. Some spells lasted "x" rounds, "x" rounds/level. "x" turns, or "x" hours, etc. My opinion is that for everything 3E got right, they shouldn't have gotten rid of the turn mechanic. It was very handy for keeping track of time outside of combat, something that if memory serves me correctly nothing comparable was ever re-introduced into the game since.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Actually, it goes back to at least 2E as I recall, and was even worse. Some spells lasted "x" rounds, "x" rounds/level. "x" turns, or "x" hours, etc. My opinion is that for everything 3E got right, they shouldn't have gotten rid of the turn mechanic. It was very handy for keeping track of time outside of combat, something that if memory serves me correctly nothing comparable was ever re-introduced into the game since.
Specifically ends on a save. But AD&D certainly did have all those variable lengths.

Even when I'm DMing and have a lot more things to track I still find it easier to remember every round saves compared to X duration. The benefit of interacting with it every round keeps it fresh in my mind.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases