• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which editions of D&D do you own the core books for?

Which of these core books/sets do you own physical copies of?

• Original D&D LBBs

Votes: 40 18.3%
  • Basic D&D (Holmes)

Votes: 72 32.9%
  • Advanced D&D, 1e

Votes: 174 79.5%
  • Basic D&D (Moldvay)

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Basic D&D (Mentzer - the Red Box)

Votes: 88 40.2%
  • Advanced D&D, 2e

Votes: 154 70.3%
  • Basic D&D (later editions, pre-3e - Black Box, etc.)

Votes: 65 29.7%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 3e

Votes: 161 73.5%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e

Votes: 174 79.5%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 4e

Votes: 143 65.3%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 4e Essentials

Votes: 79 36.1%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 2 0.9%

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
I am impressed by the obvious dedication to the hobby expressed by many posting in this thread, and equally certain that I have no business posting here based on my lack of passion.

Votan

Explorer
I have the Rules Cyclopedia, 1E AD&D, 2E AD&D, 3.5E D&D, 4E and 4E Essentials. At one point I owned other rulesets (like the Red Box and the 3.0 D&D rules). I own a few variants as well (Pathfinder, Castles and Crusades, True20).

I actively play 4E and GM Pathfinder, but think I prefer 1E/BECMI as I age. Cognitive decline setting in? :)

Ahnehnois

First Post
3.5 and 3.0; I don't think I've ever even seen books from any of the earlier editions (though I played a little).

I guess the poll results are indicative of the age of the average ENWorlder. Some of these were published before I was born, and I'm not even the "young crowd" WotC supposedly caters to.

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Dungeons & Dragons (Collector's Set - "little brown books")
Dungeons & Dragons, Basic Set (Holmes)
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons
Dungeons & Dragons, B/X (Moldvay, Cook)
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, 2nd Edition
Dungeons & Dragons, Basic Set (big black box)
Dungeons & Dragons Rules Cyclopedia
Dungeons & Dragons (3rd Edition)

I have Mongoose's pocket OGL versions of the 3.5 Player and GM guides, but I don't think that technically counts as complete core books.

Gaming Tonic

First Post
Hehe. :)

I note with interest that as I type this, AD&D is in the lead.

Cheers!

This is probably somewhat due to the proliferation of RPG materials over the years, more systems and such leads to a dilution. When AD&D was in it's heyday there were no PDF's or internet so books were the only way to go. I have piles of old role-playing stuff and that is after I have donated a whole bunch to a school program. Just my take on why AD&D leads.

Hussar

Legend
Considering the "Red Box" was supposed to have sold over a million copies, I wonder why it doesn't have a bigger showing. Not as durable I suppose.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Considering the "Red Box" was supposed to have sold over a million copies, I wonder why it doesn't have a bigger showing. Not as durable I suppose.
The boxes were pretty crap. Mine were so duct taped at their end that they were more tape than box. And while the paper in the Basic books was pretty good, the ink wore out. I had to replace my Basic set three times. The Expert rules had good ink, but the paper tore. The Companion rules got eaten by my dog, and the replacement had serious water damage. The Master rules I lost (I think a certain friend 'borrowed' them). The only set I never replaced was Immortal, just because it saw less use. And getting new Finnish versions? Forget about it. I don't think those even exist anymore.

:(

Remove ads