Which editions of D&D do you own the core books for?

Which of these core books/sets do you own physical copies of?

• Original D&D LBBs

Votes: 40 18.3%
  • Basic D&D (Holmes)

Votes: 72 32.9%
  • Advanced D&D, 1e

Votes: 174 79.5%
  • Basic D&D (Moldvay)

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Basic D&D (Mentzer - the Red Box)

Votes: 88 40.2%
  • Advanced D&D, 2e

Votes: 154 70.3%
  • Basic D&D (later editions, pre-3e - Black Box, etc.)

Votes: 65 29.7%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 3e

Votes: 161 73.5%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e

Votes: 174 79.5%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 4e

Votes: 143 65.3%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 4e Essentials

Votes: 79 36.1%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 2 0.9%

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I've recently bought a set of the original D&D booklets (plus supplements), and a bunch of other old D&D adventures. (I'm happily in the process of going through my collection and writing reviews of things in it).

However, it did make me wonder how many people have a copy of the physical books of that edition. Or of the other editions that have come out over the years. So, thus was created this thread...

Note that I'm talking about owning the physical books and not the PDFs of same. :)

I'm separating out a few of the Basic sets and 3E/4E books as "core sets".

EDIT: Oh, just realised I left out the D&D BECM Rules Cyclopedia - that comes under "Black Box" D&D.

Cheers!

Last edited:

JeffB

Legend
Sold off a huge collection of RPG stuff several years ago when I lost my job- which included my original LBBs from when I was kid, along with my 1E modules. I picked up the PDFs of them all as a "replacement". I hate PDFs.:hmm:

Still kicking myself for that, along with selling my RuneQuest collection.

mhensley

First Post
Holmes, Moldvay (x2), AD&D 1e, AD&D 2e

plus

OSRIC, Labyrinth Lord, Basic Fantasy RPG, Swords & Wizardry, and Pathfinder -all of which I consider to be D&D.

Stormonu

Legend
I'm lucky enough to have every edition of D&D except OD&D and Essentials. I had a chance to get the OD&D set from someone on the coast for $90 at a gaming store down there, but, well - the owner is jerk.

The Shaman

First Post
None of 'em.

Until a few years ago I still owned the three core books for 3.0e D&D. Now the closest I come is the 1e AD&D PHB and DMG.

Nagol

Unimportant
Holmes Basic,
AD&D 1e
3E
3.5E

I used to own 2e, but they were lost in moves over the years. I bought the PHB of 4e, but gave it to someone who would use it.

KiloGex

First Post
AD&D with a bunch of the X modules. Plus, collected most of the 3.5 stuff after getting back into the fray after years away.

Most of your list except most recently 4e Essentials.
I have had a DDI account since day dot - does that kind of count as a "Core" ruleset despite it obviously not being books?
I will definitely purchase the core 5e books when they come out but considering I will more than likely keep my DDI subscription I most likely will not get 5.5, whichever form or guise it comes in - if that makes any sense.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Remove ads