Which editions of D&D do you own the core books for?

Which of these core books/sets do you own physical copies of?

• Original D&D LBBs

Votes: 40 18.3%
  • Basic D&D (Holmes)

Votes: 72 32.9%
  • Advanced D&D, 1e

Votes: 174 79.5%
  • Basic D&D (Moldvay)

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Basic D&D (Mentzer - the Red Box)

Votes: 88 40.2%
  • Advanced D&D, 2e

Votes: 154 70.3%
  • Basic D&D (later editions, pre-3e - Black Box, etc.)

Votes: 65 29.7%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 3e

Votes: 161 73.5%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e

Votes: 174 79.5%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 4e

Votes: 143 65.3%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 4e Essentials

Votes: 79 36.1%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 2 0.9%

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
If that is the criteria, then it would make sense to include PDFs. I'd imagine some of the above categories would jump considerably if PDFs were included.

Indeed they would - but I quite purposively didn't include them. I was interested in who actually has the original books.

Cheers!

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Indeed they would - but I quite purposively didn't include them. I was interested in who actually has the original books.

It might also be interesting to include a check box under each edition/incarnation for those who have only the player's book for any given one. Maybe next time. ;)

Pentius

First Post
Also, I...I sometimes bring my 1e DMG with me, regardless of what edition I'm DMing at the time. I don't reference it much(I don't reference any book much at the table), but I kinda put it on the table, like "This is my DMing security bla-er, street cred."

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Also, I...I sometimes bring my 1e DMG with me, regardless of what edition I'm DMing at the time. I don't reference it much(I don't reference any book much at the table), but I kinda put it on the table, like "This is my DMing security bla-er, street cred."

Hehe. :)

I note with interest that as I type this, AD&D is in the lead.

Cheers!

Treebore

First Post
All of them. All the way up through and including Essentials. Played each of them for at least 3 levels too. Except for 4E Essentials. Still 4E, so didn't see a need to give it another try.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Incidentally, just looking at the number owned by people on RPGgeek.com, I get the following numbers:

OD&D: 93
AD&D: 606
Moldvay: 269
Red Box: 385
2E: 465
Black Box: 46
Cyclopedia: 206
2.1E: 124
3E: 473
3.5E: 713
4E: 773
Essentials: 119 (Fallen Lands), 82 (Forgotten Kingdoms), 176 (Rules Compendium)
(Figures based on Player's Handbooks for 1E,2E,3E & 4E)

Cheers!

Jhaelen

First Post
Interesting. I had totally forgotten I never actually owned the rule books for AD&D 1e and 2e. I own Unearthed Arcana and MM2, but none of the 'core' books. For 1e I used photocopies to play the game and I always considered 2e a 'money-grab' so I refused to buy the books and instead wrote down about dozen or so pages of rules updates.

Those were the times when I had little money, but lots of time...

havard

Adventurer
All editions except LBBs and 4E Essentials. If anyone has a set of the LBBs they want to give away, let me know ;)

BECMI/Mentzer is my all time favorite. :)

-Havard

Shemeska

Adventurer
1e (though never played it)
2e (though again, never played it)
3e (no 3.5 though)

and it's not on your list, but Pathfinder

Remove ads