Which editions of D&D do you own the core books for?

Which of these core books/sets do you own physical copies of?

• Original D&D LBBs

Votes: 40 18.3%
  • Basic D&D (Holmes)

Votes: 72 32.9%
  • Advanced D&D, 1e

Votes: 174 79.5%
  • Basic D&D (Moldvay)

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Basic D&D (Mentzer - the Red Box)

Votes: 88 40.2%
  • Advanced D&D, 2e

Votes: 154 70.3%
  • Basic D&D (later editions, pre-3e - Black Box, etc.)

Votes: 65 29.7%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 3e

Votes: 161 73.5%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e

Votes: 174 79.5%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 4e

Votes: 143 65.3%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 4e Essentials

Votes: 79 36.1%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 2 0.9%

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I have had a DDI account since day dot - does that kind of count as a "Core" ruleset despite it obviously not being books?

No, sorry. :)

Actually, if you had a DDi account, could you create a character or a dungeon? I love my DDi account, but I still need the books to know how to play the game.

Cheers!

grodog

Hero
All except Essentials.

I didn't own/play 2e, RC/Black Box, or 4e BITD though (they were part of other lots I bought from eBay over the past few years).

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
All except Essentials.

I didn't own/play 2e, RC/Black Box, or 4e BITD though (they were part of other lots I bought from eBay over the past few years).

I don't think I've ever managed to run a session of oD&D - I'm going to have to at some point, just to see what it's like. (Pre-Greyhawk, even!)

Otherwise, I missed running Holmes, and Mentzer and later versions of Basic.

Cheers!

Dragonblade

Adventurer
I'm not a hardcore collector, but I do buy the books to own as much as to play. I have core books for AD&D 1e, 2e, 3e, 3.5e, 4e, and Pathfinder (which I consider 3.75e)

I love D&D in all its flavors and incarnations. :)

There are certain things I like or dislike about certain editions, but I'm proud to own and have played them all. :D

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Mentzer BECMI + Rules Cyclopedia
AD&D 1st + 2nd
3E + 3.5E
4E
Pathfinder, and I'm going to get the Beginner set.

I had 4E Essentials, but sold them.

Hussar

Legend
Funnily enough, at some point in time, I have owned most of these core sets. Unfortunately life has gotten in the way, and my ownership has truncated quite a lot.

That, and after 3e, I only bought the 3.5 PHB. 4e I have the core books because of the set that came out.

My gaming purchases have tailed off to virtually nothing over the years.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Actually, if you had a DDi account, could you create a character or a dungeon? I love my DDi account, but I still need the books to know how to play the game.

If that is the criteria, then it would make sense to include PDFs. I'd imagine some of the above categories would jump considerably if PDFs were included.

Pentius

First Post
I've got the books for AD&D1&2e, 3.5, 4e and Essentials. Well, I think the essentials count, I have the Heroes of the Fallen Lands book and the Rules Compendium.

Remove ads