Which editions of D&D do you own the core books for?

Which of these core books/sets do you own physical copies of?

• Original D&D LBBs

Votes: 40 18.3%
  • Basic D&D (Holmes)

Votes: 72 32.9%
  • Advanced D&D, 1e

Votes: 174 79.5%
  • Basic D&D (Moldvay)

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Basic D&D (Mentzer - the Red Box)

Votes: 88 40.2%
  • Advanced D&D, 2e

Votes: 154 70.3%
  • Basic D&D (later editions, pre-3e - Black Box, etc.)

Votes: 65 29.7%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 3e

Votes: 161 73.5%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e

Votes: 174 79.5%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 4e

Votes: 143 65.3%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 4e Essentials

Votes: 79 36.1%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 2 0.9%

Dice4Hire

First Post
I own The red and blue boxes, 1E, 2E, skills and powers, 3.X and 4.X

A lot of them have spent 10+ years in storage, but they are still within reach.

Weregrognard

First Post
1e (just the DMG)
Mentzer (B, X, & C; "Black Box"; Rules Cyclopedia)
2e
3.5e
4e + Essentials

Also:
Castles & Crusades
Pathfinder RPG

I guess I'm "easy" for anything that even smells of D&D :blush:

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Everything from your list starting with 1e and ending with 4e pre-Essentials.

1e, Moldvay, 2e, 3e, 3.5e, and 4e were all bought to be played, not as collector's items.

The other stuff I either got from a friend (German Mentzer), from a bargain bin (German BECMI), or out of curiosity.

Oh, and if the PF crowd convinces you to include Pathfinder: I haven't got this.

AD&D 1e (bought in the 2000's for historic/reference value)
AD&D 2e (the first one I played)
D&D 3.0e
D&D 3.5e (My favorite, which I still run/play as often as I can)

I used to have the "Black Box" basic D&D set, my first rules actually (but we never played it as a kid, my friends and me could never figure out THAC0 so we gave up on D&D in junior high), but it was lost when my parents moved a decade ago.

I also have Hackmaster, Arcana Evolved and Wheel of Time, listing all D&D/d20 based Fantasy games.

No 2E AD&D core books anymore for me. I sold the 2E core books and much of the other material I had for it years ago at a yard sale. I should definitely have kept the core books (hate having to use the pdf's for those) and I think I also should have kept the Core Rules CD.

I sold off my original 1E AD&D core books too, back in the middle of the 2E era. What a DOLT move THAT was! I have paid the price for my lack of vision. Those, however, I obtained replacements.

OH! I missed it but I DO still have a full set of 3.0 core books too. I was thinking I didn't have the MM or DMG for that anymore (not sure why I thought I didn't.)

So, I have Holmes, 1E, 3.0, 3.5, and 4E.

Never played 4E. Never had opportunity to play it and I have NO interest in running it. Those books are off-the-shelf pristine.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
3.0, 4th Edition, Essentials. I'm a relatively new player. I'd certainly like to pick up the older editions someday, too.

I also own the Pathfinder Core Rulebook.

blue box Basic, 1E, 2E, 3E. Had the Basic D&D 'Cyclopedia' once upon a time (IIRC, I got it free from TSR in return for a promise to write basic D&D stuff for Dungeon and Dragon... sadly, I only wrote one adventure), but lost it somewhere over the years.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
About 8.5 of the 11 listed...almost all of which I have played (by which I mean mostly DMed), at least a little.

And of course, I also have and used the 2.5 books, which influenced 3E but are not listed.

Remove ads