• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which editions of D&D do you own the core books for?

Which of these core books/sets do you own physical copies of?

• Original D&D LBBs

Votes: 40 18.3%
  • Basic D&D (Holmes)

Votes: 72 32.9%
  • Advanced D&D, 1e

Votes: 174 79.5%
  • Basic D&D (Moldvay)

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Basic D&D (Mentzer - the Red Box)

Votes: 88 40.2%
  • Advanced D&D, 2e

Votes: 154 70.3%
  • Basic D&D (later editions, pre-3e - Black Box, etc.)

Votes: 65 29.7%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 3e

Votes: 161 73.5%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e

Votes: 174 79.5%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 4e

Votes: 143 65.3%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 4e Essentials

Votes: 79 36.1%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 2 0.9%

Dice4Hire

First Post
I own The red and blue boxes, 1E, 2E, skills and powers, 3.X and 4.X

A lot of them have spent 10+ years in storage, but they are still within reach.

Weregrognard

First Post
1e (just the DMG)
Mentzer (B, X, & C; "Black Box"; Rules Cyclopedia)
2e
3.5e
4e + Essentials

Also:
Castles & Crusades
Pathfinder RPG

I guess I'm "easy" for anything that even smells of D&D :blush:

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Everything from your list starting with 1e and ending with 4e pre-Essentials.

1e, Moldvay, 2e, 3e, 3.5e, and 4e were all bought to be played, not as collector's items.

The other stuff I either got from a friend (German Mentzer), from a bargain bin (German BECMI), or out of curiosity.

Oh, and if the PF crowd convinces you to include Pathfinder: I haven't got this.

AD&D 1e (bought in the 2000's for historic/reference value)
AD&D 2e (the first one I played)
D&D 3.0e
D&D 3.5e (My favorite, which I still run/play as often as I can)

I used to have the "Black Box" basic D&D set, my first rules actually (but we never played it as a kid, my friends and me could never figure out THAC0 so we gave up on D&D in junior high), but it was lost when my parents moved a decade ago.

I also have Hackmaster, Arcana Evolved and Wheel of Time, listing all D&D/d20 based Fantasy games.

No 2E AD&D core books anymore for me. I sold the 2E core books and much of the other material I had for it years ago at a yard sale. I should definitely have kept the core books (hate having to use the pdf's for those) and I think I also should have kept the Core Rules CD.

I sold off my original 1E AD&D core books too, back in the middle of the 2E era. What a DOLT move THAT was! I have paid the price for my lack of vision. Those, however, I obtained replacements.

OH! I missed it but I DO still have a full set of 3.0 core books too. I was thinking I didn't have the MM or DMG for that anymore (not sure why I thought I didn't.)

So, I have Holmes, 1E, 3.0, 3.5, and 4E.

Never played 4E. Never had opportunity to play it and I have NO interest in running it. Those books are off-the-shelf pristine.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
3.0, 4th Edition, Essentials. I'm a relatively new player. I'd certainly like to pick up the older editions someday, too.

I also own the Pathfinder Core Rulebook.

blue box Basic, 1E, 2E, 3E. Had the Basic D&D 'Cyclopedia' once upon a time (IIRC, I got it free from TSR in return for a promise to write basic D&D stuff for Dungeon and Dragon... sadly, I only wrote one adventure), but lost it somewhere over the years.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
About 8.5 of the 11 listed...almost all of which I have played (by which I mean mostly DMed), at least a little.

And of course, I also have and used the 2.5 books, which influenced 3E but are not listed.

Remove ads