Which editions of D&D do you own the core books for?

Which of these core books/sets do you own physical copies of?

• Original D&D LBBs

Votes: 40 18.3%
  • Basic D&D (Holmes)

Votes: 72 32.9%
  • Advanced D&D, 1e

Votes: 174 79.5%
  • Basic D&D (Moldvay)

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Basic D&D (Mentzer - the Red Box)

Votes: 88 40.2%
  • Advanced D&D, 2e

Votes: 154 70.3%
  • Basic D&D (later editions, pre-3e - Black Box, etc.)

Votes: 65 29.7%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 3e

Votes: 161 73.5%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e

Votes: 174 79.5%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 4e

Votes: 143 65.3%
  • Dungeons & Dragons 4e Essentials

Votes: 79 36.1%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 2 0.9%

Ron

Explorer
All core books of:

AD&D with revised covers
AD&D 2nd edition revised
D&D Rules Cyclopedia (missing at the pool)
D&D 4th edition Essentials

I might buy a 3.5 set just to complete my collection, although I have little desire in playing 3.x again.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Shame this isn't a open poll - I mean, we can't view the voters. Cause I'm really not buying the fact that people here have as many 1e core sets as 3.5 E core sets.

Have a look at the figures from RPG Geek I posted above.

In fact, I'm not particularly surprised that the figures are like they are. EN World is particularly slanted towards long-term gamers who returned to the game with 3E, but started in 1E, or towards people who have an interest in the history of the game.

And, then too, the poll probably attracts people who have more than one set...

(As a side note, I own 2 AD&D MM, 4 AD&D DMGs, and 7 AD&D PHs).

Cheers!

Stormonu

Legend
It is a little surprising to see so many still have their 1E books, but it was pretty popular back in it's heyday - and it seems easy enough to slip on a shelf somewhere for nostalgia's sake. I think most of my friends that I played with back in the day still have theirs, tucked away somewhere...

Heh - I also wanted to add I have the 21st century copies of the 1E rulebooks - just big enough to fit in a shirt pocket for those forays out of town. (I also have the Cook Expert boxed set in miniature, would love to get a copy of the Moldvay Basic boxed set in mini).

Hussar

Legend
Why?

I have both...seems ordinary to me....

You think it's ordinary that more people would have a set of books that's been out of print for twenty years than a set of books that's arguably the best selling version of D&D ever and only went out of print a couple of years ago?

I'm thinking there's some serious selection bias going on here.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
All of the above :D

Attachments

• D&D Core Rules.jpg
    D&D Core Rules.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 68

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
You think it's ordinary that more people would have a set of books that's been out of print for twenty years than a set of books that's arguably the best selling version of D&D ever and only went out of print a couple of years ago?

I'm thinking there's some serious selection bias going on here.
I'm not so sure.

For instance, there's more AD&D DMG's available right now on US Amazon than there are 3.5 DMG's. 6 new, 85 used and 6 collectible for AD&D 1st ed., as opposed to 15 new and 59 used for 3.5.

wedgeski

Adventurer
There's nothing in the poll that requires you to have owned the books from the start. "Out of print" means nothing these days: the second-hand market is massive and easier than ever to tap.

dagger

Adventurer
I can take a 5 min jaunt to Half Price books and get 1e/2e core books easy. Or ebay of course....

I had the 4e PHB but traded it for some AD&D stuff earlier in the year. :) Everyone in my game group has always had the AD&D books, even when we played 4e.

Remove ads