D&D General Which era and style/flavor of the Forgotten Realms do you play in?

Which era/style/flavor do you play in? Era starting in...

• Before 1357 DR

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • 1357 DR (Gray box - Classic Greenwood Realms)

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • 1358 DR (Time of Troubles - TSR Realms)

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • 1372 DR (3E FRCS - Revised WotC Realms)

Votes: 25 31.6%
  • 1479 DR (4E - post-Spellplague)

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • 1490 DR (5E - post-Second Sundering)

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Other/no specific date

Votes: 21 26.6%

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Tyr killing Helm seemed like just more 4e grimdark so I couldn't accept that from 1384
I thought the 'divine love triangle' was a vapid soap opera plot. I also dumped it.
But I put in a substitute event: GHotR already describes Tyr's arrival, leading a host. Suppose he got a particular summons that he was urgently needed elsewhere? He brought "a few friends" along when he went back to answer the call.

Laurefindel

Legend
3.0 era, or should I say, the last few years leading to 1372.

Most of my games start in 1367-1368 by the game's calendar. They include most canon events or the 1360 - 1372 decade, but in whichever order fits the game. The retake of Citadel Felbarr has been a marking event in all three of my FR campaigns, each time one or two years "off" from canon.

The 3e Campaign setting book is one of the few 3e books i kept, and I still carry my old leather string-bound photocopied booklets; "Cities and Civilization", and "The Wilderness", both taken from 2e AD&D The North box set. When nostalgia takes me, I go back to the 1e AD&D Savage Frontier sourcebook to be reminded how Mielikki was a barbarian goddess of the hunt. Helps me shake off the tree-hugging vibe of 3e era's rangers and druids...

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I voted other, as I have never paid attention to the timeline/history of FR.

If I am running a module/AP, then it takes place whenever that is set.

If I am running my own adventure but set in FR, then I pick a corner and run whatever recently happened.

Coroc

Hero
Just curious. Anyone who at least semi-regularly DMs and/or plays in the Realms, please vote. Pick the option that best fits, or choose Other and explain.

Note that I didn't include date ranges, but starting points that reflect different eras of the campaign setting. So if you, for instance, started with the Gray Box and ignored canon (e.g. Time of Troubles, Spellplague, etc) and just continued on in Gray Box style, choose that option, even if the year is much later. Similarly with other options. The point is to choose your starting point and flavor of the era, more than the specific year of your campaign.

If you don't play in the Realms, but buy products and have a strong opinion of preference, feel free to vote.
1000 DR but just as a starter vignette for my Ravenloft campaign
Grey box if I were to dm a FR campaign
5e as a player

Shiroiken

Legend
My DM is a huge FR fan, and usually runs his campaigns in it. I started with him during 3E, and he always tried to incorporate as much up to date lore as he could (which he said was problematic in 3E). I've read the 2E work, and find that other than the Time of Troubles (which I wasn't a fan of), most of the 2E timeline was pretty good.

aco175

Legend
I always liked the Under Illefarn adventure from 2e, but would run Scourge of the Sword Coastif I wanted a new campaign in the Daggerford area since it builds upon a lot of the original, even though it is from the playtest for 5e, but I think it can be updated easier than a 2e module.

I always liked the Under Illefarn adventure from 2e, but would run Scourge of the Sword Coastif I wanted a new campaign in the Daggerford area since it builds upon a lot of the original, even though it is from the playtest for 5e, but I think it can be updated easier than a 2e module.
One day I will combine Ghosts of DragonSpear Castle, Scourge of the Sword Coast and Under Illefarn Anew into one great campaign. One day.

Remove ads